BLW and delaying weaning

meg

Mum to 1 and TTC!
Reaction score
Hi

Have been reading up on baby led weaning and have bought the book, and really like the concepts behind it, and the psychological benefits that it seems to bring the babies who participate in it.

Our LO is just turning 4 months, and has 4 bottles of 220mls every day. I've read that alot of mothers start their LO's on solids when they start waking during the night for a feed, but we REALLY want to hold off till the 6 month mark to start weaning and not use purees.

Last night she woke up screaming and devoured a bottle, at 4am, then slept till 9am.

She has been very dribbly and her gums do seem to be bothering her, would this cause her to wake up and be hungry?

We are planning on increasing her bottles to 5 a day, to try to let her get her sleep during the night, and hopefully delay weaning.

Has anyone got any experience of this? It's our first baby, and we seemed to just be getting into a routine that we were confident with!

Thanks for any feedback

No advice, just wanted to say I'm in a similar position. Really want to hold off on weaning, and have a very hungry baby! I'm just feeding him more, and accepting that I'll have broken sleep for a little while! From what I've read, it is quite norma for babies to start waking up in the night, after sleeping through.

No advice, just wanted to say I'm in a similar position. Really want to hold off on weaning, and have a very hungry baby! I'm just feeding him more, and accepting that I'll have broken sleep for a little while! From what I've read, it is quite norma for babies to start waking up in the night, after sleeping through.

yep like Ascacia said it is normal for babies to start waking again hon after previously sleeping through the night, their sleep patterns change alot!

and if you want to hold off weaning then yeah i would up your babys milk and see if that makes a difference xx

Babies do have a growth spurt around this time and this can be mistaken fir the need to wean. We just upped Olivers bf's and he did fine. We then started weaning just before 6 months (think it was 5 months 3 weeks).

Good luck hun! x x

She'll be due a growth spurt at 4 months, which is their biggest one and will cause them t o wake through the night. We have a BLW thread here too which is fab for advice. Sounds like you're doing great so far :)

Meadow slept through from 2 months till 4 months and now she has a bottle at 5am and then gets up for the day at 7/8.

I thought about weaning at 5 months because of this, and the fact that shes quite large. But I decided to wait in the end because theres a history of allergies in my family and Im so paranoid about doing it wrong.

She currently has about 35-40oz of milk in one day in 5 or 6 bottles. We dont really have fixed times. She feeds every 3 hours during the day.

Thanks everyone, that's really great. She's been feeding around every 3 hours during the day now, and has slept through the last 2 nights. long may it continue!

Think its worth it to hold off on the weaning at the moment, so we can do blw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->