BLW and milk feeds

faille

Mummy & WTT
Reaction score
Ok, Violet has always been so predictable with her milk feeds (could almost set your watch by her) so I got into the habbit of getting her bottle ready 5/10mins before she'd want it so that she wasn't sat ages crying.

But now it's like she expects her bottle at a certain time and hardly ever cries for it. If I do let her cry for it, it could be up to an hour and a half past the time I think she "should" have wanted it.

Now I'm thinking well what if she doesn't really want it when I give it to her..? (she'll always take it but not sure if she "wants" it iyswim?).

Should I hold back with just giving her the bottle..? I'm worried now because she's actually starting to eat (but it still isn't a lot, not enough to fill her up I don't think) so I expect her to want to start cutting her bottles down (I know it wont be just yet though)

How will she cut her milk down..? Will she drop the amount of milk at each bottle or will she just drop an entire bottle?

How long should a 6 month go between feeds? At the moment, it's still every 4-5hrs (depending whether I get it ready or not). I know a young baby should go 4hrs max but i don't know how long as they get older?

I don't know if anyone will make any sense out of this thread but thanks for any advice if you do :blush:

And as bad as it sounds... I'm worried about leaving her to cry for her bottle as this will muck up her routine, which has worked so well for months :blush:

Hi

I've just put a post on my blog www.weaningtales.blogspot.com as having the same worries about formula! Lily seems not to be interested in her formula at all at the minute. She has an 8oz bottle at 7am with breakfast which is usually cereal and yoghurt. I used to give her another 7oz at about 11am but she's cut this feed out entirely and is happy just to have a lunch of finger foods and a drink of water. I then feed her another bottle at 2pm. Today she took 6oz but sometimes I'm lucky if she'll take 3 or 4oz. At teatime Lily eats a meal with us and then I give her another bottle before bed at 630-7pm. Again I make up 7 oz but sometimes she takes 3-4oz. I'm still giving her a dream feed at 10pm of 3-4oz because I'm worried she's not taking enough.
What sort of feeding pattern are you finding?

Freya sometimes goes longer than 4/5 hours, she has 8oz bottles now and can go 6 or 7 hours during the day sometimes. I must admit, if I am going out and I may be in the car a while I give her a bottle before I go, other than that it is always on demand. I don't know about dropping a feed, I assume they drink less and less then the bottle gets dropped? Not sure though.

I would probably let her tell you when she wants the milk, as it will be changing over the coming months anyway, so easiest way to know how much she wants is to let her tell you!

:)

What I'm planning on doing when Ruby starts swallowing solids is to keep offering milk at the same times, and see if she takes it or not. She sometimes refuses bottles or only takes a little anyway. So I offer, and she can take it or leave it :)

Hi

I've just put a post on my blog www.weaningtales.blogspot.com as having the same worries about formula! Lily seems not to be interested in her formula at all at the minute. She has an 8oz bottle at 7am with breakfast which is usually cereal and yoghurt. I used to give her another 7oz at about 11am but she's cut this feed out entirely and is happy just to have a lunch of finger foods and a drink of water. I then feed her another bottle at 2pm. Today she took 6oz but sometimes I'm lucky if she'll take 3 or 4oz. At teatime Lily eats a meal with us and then I give her another bottle before bed at 630-7pm. Again I make up 7 oz but sometimes she takes 3-4oz. I'm still giving her a dream feed at 10pm of 3-4oz because I'm worried she's not taking enough.
What sort of feeding pattern are you finding?

8oz bottle at 8/8.30am
Maybe some breakfast at 9/9.30am (did start then stopped because it was taking aaages but now she's swallowing, I started again this morning lol)
8oz bottle at 12-1pm
Lunch at 1-2pm
8oz bottle 4.30-5pm
Dinner at 6.30/7pm
8oz bottle at 8/8.30pm

I'm not worried that she's not having enough, I'm worried that she's having too much lol as she hasn't stopped taking milk in line with how much more she's swallowing (it's now every meal she swallows and it's quite a bit). I'm just concerned that I may be over feeding her :blush:

I've been wondering the same! Aisling very rarely cries for milk and I tend to offer it when I usualy would have as otherwise our daily routine would go out the window and I wouldn't know when to do anything :blush: She'll usually take some, I'm bfing so no idea how much, but like this morning, she's just used it as a prop and she's now fast asleep on my lap!

I would leave her to ask for her milk but the day would be so unpredictable...

I am bfing and the only feeds Olivia tends to demand now are her first morning feed, one around 12.00pm, her bedtime feed at 6.30pm and one during the night. I still offer the boob between these feeds and she does have some but she doesnt feed for as long.

I keep thinking I should stop offering so many feeds but even though Olivia is chewing and swallowing pretty well, I dont feel confident that she is eating enough to fill her yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->