[BLW] From chips to chunks to cheerios!

hivechild

Mummy to Ronan
Reaction score
Around what age did your LO's go from handling chip sized foods to wanting things in smaller chunks and then again in teensy pieces so they can show off their pincer grips?

Ronan seems to be getting annoyed with some chip sized/length foods if he can't easily gum pieces off and prefers them to be in smaller chunks but his manual dexterity still isn't up to handling smaller bits. He's getting better at it, but there's a lot of frustration and food smashing on his tray involved right now.

He's happy if I hand him the food to take, but I don't want to do that too much as I want him to figure it out for himself and to be picking up food he wants to pick up as opposed to taking anything I hand him!

Hi HC :wave:

I have just started giving Elliott bite sized chunks to pick up in the last month. He seems to prefer food like this rather than in finger sized pieces and I know now that he understands it must be chewed before swallowing.

He manages peas , sweetcorn etc by mainly scooping them up with his whole hand still. I'm yet to see the pincer grip be used to any extent.

OT, but I can't believe how much Elliot has grown! He looks like a proper little boy in your avatar.

Honor had her pincer grip mastered since about 6 1/2 months but she's only just (14months) mastered walking. It's mad how they develop isn't it? So interesting.

OT, but I can't believe how much Elliot has grown! He looks like a proper little boy in your avatar.

Thank you. It's hard to think of him as a baby now as he's growing up so quickly :cry:

Ronan is as gorgeous as ever :cloud9: What a cheeky chappy!

Honor had her pincer grip mastered since about 6 1/2 months but she's only just (14months) mastered walking. It's mad how they develop isn't it? So interesting.

Ruby also had a decent pincer grip by 7 months and isn't walking at 16 months! :)

Ruby started to refuse chip shaped food at about 9 months and much prefered food chopped up small. Now she much prefers large foods, as similar in appearance to our food as possible. I can hardly keep up! haha

Thanks, Poppy! He certainly is cheeky.

Niki, it really is crazy how different they all develop. Ronan is definitely working on his pincer and can open his fist for food he has in it. Of course, he also tends to shove his thumb in his mouth to keep food there while he's mushing it up. I think he's going to be unpleasantly surprised once he has teeth and his thumb gets in the way!

Claire, how could you tell when she started wanting food prepared differently?

Lizzie likes using her pincer grip now - I'd say for the last month it's been in real action...she used it previously, but not everyday.

She scoops porridge, mashed pots etc - grabs chunks of veg - and breaks large pieces into pieces she deems acceptable to her.

She's taken to eating Cheerios and mince with definite pincer grip, bit by bit!

Thanks, Poppy! He certainly is cheeky.

Niki, it really is crazy how different they all develop. Ronan is definitely working on his pincer and can open his fist for food he has in it. Of course, he also tends to shove his thumb in his mouth to keep food there while he's mushing it up. I think he's going to be unpleasantly surprised once he has teeth and his thumb gets in the way!

Claire, how could you tell when she started wanting food prepared differently?

I just found she ate a lot more of food that was smaller anyway (so pasta twists, chopped fruit etc) than if I had given her large pieces. :)

Tom is 81/2 months and has just started picking up really small pieces of food up to eat. He seems at the moment to prefer either really big pieces to hold with both hands or very small pieces to try to pick up with finger and thumb. He's not very impressed with chip shapes anymore.

finnley can manage both chip sizes and smaller chunks of food. He has picked up bits of food in his thumb and finger, but tbh i think it was just a fluke the few times hes done it! He can handle pretty small bits of food though. He managed a whole scrambled egg for lunch today :)

Kailee likes small foods as she will eat rasiens one by one and meat small but most fruit and veg needs to be as whole as possible and she shreds toast then eats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->