BLW question - Breakfast

pigginteacher

Mum of 2
Reaction score
I haven't started weaning yet but just interested to know what cereals are suitable at 6 months and how do u give it to them?? Also how do u know how much to make up when they are first trying foods?

You can use baby designed cereals or some adult cereals are perfectly fine! :)
Things like porridge oats, weetabix, oatibix. Babies only usually take abit to start with, so only make up a small amount xx

I was thinking of giving weetabix but wasnt sure if this was ok. Do you leave it whole or mush it up? Do u put it on a spoon and then let your LO take the spoon??

When I make weetabix I just add enough milk to make it soggy, but not too runny if you know what I mean. I load the spoon and give it to my LO who puts it in her own mouth, although it's very messy doing it this way. My daughter will eat a whole weetabix with fruit mixed in.

i have my weetabix dry, so have just given bella a biscuit of weetabix & she loves it! :)
xx

Harriet started on fruity porridge then we moved her to weetabix and she goes off it and back on it so we alternate between porridge and weetabix. The best cereals i found were the Plum ones but there very expensive.

Ruby would not use pre loaded spoons or eat sloppy foods with her hands when we started BLW. Shreddies (well, the supermarket own brand version) were her favourite.

With weetabix you can put sone milk onto it to soften it then give it as a "biscuit" but its mushhy so easier for them to eat iykwim?
Either that or heat up milk (i find it gets mushier that way) and mix it up and pre load the spoon :) :flower:

My mother would take warm water to heat it up. Pour the water off and add milk.

I made DS oatmeal - with rolled oats.

Although his first cereal he was 7-8 months and I gave him dry Cheerios and he'd just munch em up and eat them.

Kaylum started with dry cheerios and fruit - Tattie avoided shreddies and weetabix because her and her younger brother used to have a really bad tummy with it when they were children.

These days he also has porridge or rice porridge (kind of like unsweetened rice pudding made with ordinary long grain rice) as well as cheerios with milk :flower:

Thanks all, this is really helpful. Will try with milk first and a loaded spoon, see what happens. Can you give weetabix to babies under 6 months?

I believe you can offer adult cereals from 6 months, personally I avoid anything I consider too sugary/sweet, ie coco pops, frosties etc.
I've given lo weetabix, shreddies, porridge, none of which were met with great enthusiasm, the favourite was shreddies I think she ate about 5 whole shreddies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->