Blw questions

Zfbaby

Reaction score
Sorry if these questions have been asked before (I'm sure they have) but I'm in France on holiday with limited Internet and time to hunt at the minute.

My lo is 23weeks, is this too young to start Blw? Yesterday we were at a restaurant and he grabbed a piece of bread and started to take it to his mouth. I'd planned to wait until 6 months (so not that far away) so at first I took it away from him. He cried until I gave it back. I tore the bread into finger sized chunks and squished it slightly to soften as its French bread and quite hard. He chomped away quite happily.
Is this a sign that it is safe to start giving him food. How much can I let him have as if it was up to him he would have stuffed the whole basket yesterday :rofl:
As I hadn't planned to start yet I havent done a huge amount of research. I know he shouldn't have protein yet but is bread and veg ok? I freaked a little when we got home as I read that if there are allergies in the family you shouldn't give wheat. My dh had asthma when he was younger. I thought Blw was as simple as just give him the same as I was eating minus sugar and salt but I'm starting to think that's not really the case??

My son has had so many feeding problems ( severe tongue tie was cut 3 times) that I want to get it right but he seems so interested in food now and gets frustrated when he isn't having what everyone else is.
Looking online it says to wait until he can sit unaided. He is sort of there, he can sit for a minute or two and then will get a bit wobbly but he sits on a lap perfectly well. Is that ok?
Also should veg be cooked and cooled or is it ok to let him suck on raw veg? (not sure im keen on that)
I really want to do Blw as I want food to be his decision and I want him to use his tongue and jaw muscles which are weak but I'm nervous because of the issues weve had. I'm worried that if he struggles or chokes it will put him and me off. Am I being namby pamby about it and should just get on with giving him bits or am I jumping in too soon? How often should I give him solids at this stage?

If i were you I would just let him have a few pieces here and there when you are eating. raw veg is a bad idea as its hard to bite off but steamed veg is fine. I wouldnt give too much to start off with but if he isnt struggling with it then just see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->