bmi over 30 means no water birth???

Rozz1e1

Pregnant :D
Reaction score
Ok when lil missy last had me at the hospital after scaring me by beimg asleep for a while lol I spoke to the dr about wanting a water birth..she said yep thats fine then said ooh if your bmi is over 30 or over 35 then you cant have a waterbirth..she couldnt remember which bmi was correct and didnt tell me why either...my bmi is about 35 now i think...up from 31 pre pg
Has anyone else heard this b4?

Hi hun im not defo sure but i think its your bmi pre pregnancy that they take into account. Mine has gone over 30 since getting pregnant and when i asked about risks the midwife was more concerned about what my bmi was at the beginning with over 30 being more risky x

That would make sense...im consultant led but havent any appt with my consultant or his team at all!! At 12 week scan i saw the jr doc who said ill sign you back to mw led care as youv only been referred because your bmi is over 30... I later found it was also cos im asthmatic...the only appt i will have with my consultant is 3 days after due date and im being induced....its strange..i hope i can go in the water xx

It's recommended because of a slightly higher risk of a shoulder dystocia (very slightly, don't worry) and also in case they had to get you out really quickly or if you collapsed. But if you're fairly borderline then hopefully they will let you go in, tell them how much you want to. I would never stop anyone getting in unless they were properly obese! I have found that if you need to get out really quickly in an emergency partners get super strength and just hoik them out. Hopefully they will let you x

Hiya. I have bmi just over 35 and at m6 hospital I've been told over 35 means no water birth because of the risks to midwives if they had to get you out quick and you couldn't do it yourself. My physio said she thinks water would be good for me so she's writing that she recommends it in the hope I get it. X x

Thanks ladies :) water really helps my pain im hoping they will let me...altho my bmi is higher im still fit and active and pre pg did yoga etc and im also a nurse so that keeps me fit lol!! Im also 5'9 lol im.hoping theyll let me xxxx

My bmi is over 35 and have bren told no to.be able.to use the birthing pool incase i faint or something and they cant get me out... Im not terribly big to be honest nd i had the birthing pool with dd as she was back yo.back and it was amazing gutted about this time tho

I was also told that due to high BMI they will want to monitor baby's heart rate through scalp clip constantly- which would not be possible in water x

Hmm i guess ill only know when im in labour as to whether they let me.or not then :-\ xxx

My bmi is over 30 and no one has said anything about not being able to hav a water birth n my area

Ok when lil missy last had me at the hospital after scaring me by beimg asleep for a while lol I spoke to the dr about wanting a water birth..she said yep thats fine then said ooh if your bmi is over 30 or over 35 then you cant have a waterbirth..she couldnt remember which bmi was correct and didnt tell me why either...my bmi is about 35 now i think...up from 31 pre pg
Has anyone else heard this b4?

I know the recomendation in my hospital goes by pre pregnancy bmi (bmi at booking), and if its 35 or above then a water birth is a no go - due to risks associated with birth of big baby and lifting you out pool if something happens to you and you cant get out yourself.

I do know though that they are willing to discuss options on an individual basis as a woman I know has lost weight in pregnancy and now has a bmi below 35 (was over 35 at booking) and shes been told they will discuss it with consultant for her.

Not sure if its same at every hospital but worth asking your midwife next time you see her x

erm..im not in the UK so maybe it's different, but i have a BMI over 35 and ive had two water births. Will have a third water birth with this one if things go as planned as well.

i dont think legally they can deny you that, but maybe im mistaken.

Bloody hell that's a big of a shock, my bmi was 31 at booking in and I hadn't even thought about not being able to have a water birth. No one has commented to me and I've mentioned it loads of times?

I was told if bmi in booking is less than 35 when water birth is still ok
If it was over then no as its classed high risk

Im next seeing mw on thursday so ill ask her then and not leave till i get an answer lol!! Xxxx

Hi all, with my first pregnancy I was told that I couldn't have a water birth because of my bmi (way above 35!) and I just went with it. This pregnancy I am going to have a home water birth. I wish last time I had done more research and been more assertive. I think if I had my time again I'd have "threatened" a home birth in the hope it would persuade them to allow me to use their pool. I had a very straightforward labour, just gas and air, wasn't continuously monitored (someone mentioned a clip on the baby's head - this is not necessary).

What I would say to everyone is please don't let anyone bully you into things by giving you the "weight" card. The best way to have the least amount of intervention is to have as natural birth as you can, keep mobile, don't let them get you strapped to the bed, etc. please do your research, you will fee, better for it.

It is your body, make informed choices and don't let them make you think you "have" to do things xx

I have a BMI of 36 this time around and I am pushing for a water homebirth. The 'cut off' in my area is 35, but you can appeal. I have a consultant refferal who has been keeping an eye on my BP and proteins since 24 weeks and so long as they contunie to be ok to 36 weeks (and my growth scan is ok this week) then I will be signed off and cleared for my home water birth.

They may have a cut off for using the hospital birth pool but there is no cut off for home waterbirth. They may advise against it but ultimately it is your decision. It is not for them to "allow" you to do things. It is your body, your choice. Something I didn't realise first time around but I have done a lot of research since! X

Ps. My BMI is above 40 and I'm still planning a home water birth :) x

My last baby was home water birth with bmi of 38. Im having home water birth again with pre preg bmi of 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->