bmi over 30 means no water birth???

im going to check with my midwife too because at the same appointment as she booked me a growth scan for my bmi (pre preg 36) we were also discussing a water birth and she didnt mention I couldnt. I would be disappointed if they say no because of their policy. Will definitely think about appealing because after back problems pre pregnancy and now being made a lot worse, a water birth would be heaven, I live in the bath to ease my pain!!

At my hospital you are not allowed a water birth if your BMI is over 35. But that is pre-pregnancy BMI, they don't take into account your pregnancy weight gain :shrug:

Hi. I'm off to see consultant Monday and I'm going to put my case to them because I desperately want a wb. My bmi was 35.5 ish pre pregnancy and last time I weighed myself I was about half a pound under my start weight yet I have a nice big bump so I myself must have lost some weight. My physio said it's mad because someone with a bmi of 34.9 would be offered a wb but then could put on 3 stone during pregnancy and someone with bmi of 35 would be denied wb and might lose weight or hardly put on any weight but because it's about pre pregnancy bmi it takes away their options.

My eating is a lot better than it was before. I wouldn't say it's fantastic but I did eat massive portions before and now I eat about a third to half of what I did which is how much I should be eating and I've included lots more veg and some fruit yet I just know even though I've managed to keep weight at a good level they will deny me.

I may have to take the "well I'm having a home birth then" route even though I would rather be in hospital.
I've been told the cut off is partially due to if you need to get out of water urgently it will pose a risk to the midwives bit I am having my husband and mum so they could help.

Well I asked my mw on thurs and checked through all my notes lol and my booking bmi was 35, i lost nearly a stone due to sickness and obv bmi went down...now at 37 weeks its only gone up to 36.7...mw said that she couldnt say never not allowed and it woild depend on the day...she said the main risk is of lo getting stuck etc but she said i am tall and my weight isnt just innone area its well distributed lol and my bp and things have been fine throughout so i might...just might be able to have a hospital water birth all being well :-D fingers crossed!! Xxx

I havent put on that much weight I dont think, its all baby but like u say someone could put pn 4 stone in pregnancy and as long as bmi was lower before they would be allowed!! I think BMI is a silly way of judging it because im quite short so in theory should way less but because I dont then I have a high BMI, someone could be a few inch taller than me and weigh exactly the same but have a lower bmi!!

I think its sizist :rofl: At the end of the day if they needed to get me out in a hurry, I cant see hubby standing there pondering what to do, he would lift me out in a flash!!

EDIT: Actually just checked and if I was 2 inch taller I would fall below 35!!

I havent put on that much weight I dont think, its all baby but like u say someone could put pn 4 stone in pregnancy and as long as bmi was lower before they would be allowed!! I think BMI is a silly way of judging it because im quite short so in theory should way less but because I dont then I have a high BMI, someone could be a few inch taller than me and weigh exactly the same but have a lower bmi!!

I think its sizist :rofl: At the end of the day if they needed to get me out in a hurry, I cant see hubby standing there pondering what to do, he would lift me out in a flash!!

EDIT: Actually just checked and if I was 2 inch taller I would fall below 35!!

Lol its crazy isnt it!!
And exactly....our OH wouldnt just stand there looking like decorations if they knew we needed out they would turn into supermen and hoike us out...let alone us going into superhuman mummy mode!!
BMI is ridiculous when your pregnant because surely if your pre pg bmi is under 35, you put on 4 stone and it goes to nr 40 or above surely risk of baba getting stuck is higher than those ladies like us whose bmi is only just over through out pregnancy anyway?
Im quite happy that despite apparently being classed as obese(!!!) by my bmi, I do regular exercise...well not so much atm but thats because of my hips and the fact i dont bend in the middle anymore lol! Im 5'9 and im healthy, my bp has been fine, pre pg im a size 14/16/18 depended on shop and item of clothes lol (rather endowed in the booby department lol) and iv put 5.4kg this pregnancy xxxx

I had a BMI over 40 in my first birth in a London hospital and it was never an issue. I laboured in the bath/pool for the entire time, getting out at the end to deliver for a completely different reason, certainly nothign to do with 'not being allowed to'

Ask if you can labour in the pool.... and then just refuse to get out, they can't 'make' you move. ;)

Hiya. I've seen consultant today and she has agreed to write on my notes that she agrees to me having a water birth as I have only put on half a kilo from pre pregnancy weight and I'm 32 weeks but.did warn I may still not get it if the staff on the day I go in decide not.to let me bit said if I have any probs and.she's on call she will say she agrees. I'm very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->