BMI

kyrabeth

Married & TTC#1
Reaction score
So i've managed to lose over a stone and finally break under the 35 BMI number, at 14stone 12. Im 5ft 5 and currently a 16/18 in clothes size (UK).
Just googling and looking at my goal weight which is 12stone, most places seem to say i'd still be overweight and only a size 14/16.

Im an hourglass shape - im not just saying that to detract from being fat, i've got a tiny waist but large hips and boobs. So im not even sure that i could lose more than 3 stone without looking strange.

Thoughts? Is anyone 5ft 5 and has pictures to give me an idea of what i'd look like if i was lighter, or know where i could see pictures?

BMI is not really a good indicator. My BMI has was always towards the high end of average but at the time I was an athlete training 20 hours a week!!! i had lots of muscle. muscle weighs more than fat! also my OH trains in the gym and has pretty massive muscles - no way would anyone call him fat yet my wii fit has him down as obese based on BMI. your better off taking your own measurements round legs & hips ect and doing it every once a month to see how much youve lost.

BMI is not really a good indicator. My BMI has was always towards the high end of average but at the time I was an athlete training 20 hours a week!!! i had lots of muscle. muscle weighs more than fat! also my OH trains in the gym and has pretty massive muscles - no way would anyone call him fat yet my wii fit has him down as obese based on BMI. your better off taking your own measurements round legs & hips ect and doing it every once a month to see how much youve lost.

To be fair, though, it wasn't a good indicator for you because you are an athlete and, like you said, it's not a good indicator for people with a high proportion of muscle BUT for the general public, it is a fairly good indicator.
Sorry for going off topic, OP.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back