Body fat drop but weight the same??

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
So I last weighed myself 16 days ago and weighed 9st 4 with a 29.2% body fat. Today I am still the same weight but have dropped to 27.4% body fat? Although in kgs it says I have gained .2

I've only started eating healthy properly this week but I do go to the gym and exercise, though not enough for me to believe this is muscle counteracting the fat loss :shrug:

Are this fat loss scales accurate? The ones at the gym which you stand on and grip the handles?

I can't see any noticible difference myself :nope:

This frustrates me sooooo much!

In 2013 from April I was a regular gym goer until the new year. For nearly 2 months I got lazy and had to give myself a boot up the backside but with that I have also upped my exercise. In 2 weeks my body fat has reduced but no weight loss, I do feel sore and heavy though and know it's from my new exercise routine (training for a 10km run after losing over 50lbs last year). Are you drinking enough water?

I have salter scales, while I don't believe they are 100% accurate I do believe they give me a good indication things are moving in the right direction.

What do you do at the gym and how many times a week?

Take pictures
Take measurements

Why? Last year I nearly threw the gym clothes into the cupboard, my scales weren't giving me the results I wanted until a friend reminded me I took measurements when I first started and BINGO .... I had lost inches. In my experience the scales may move slower but the inches are coming off (and the fat % will decrease too).

I see so many people say they are 9 stone and size 10 ... 10stone 8lbs I reached size 10 (until I put back on half a stone *cough* :lol:).

Anyway that is just my experience. Take some pics in a long mirror side and front, they also kept me motivated A LOT and get those measurements done <3 x

It could be fat replaced by muscle- do you look different? I know we all tend to adhere to what the scale says- me included! But really, it should be about overall healthy and fitness. I lost the lbs first- all while working out- but since then, I've just pushed myself harder at the gym to gain some muscle tone so that eventually I can continue to maintain what I have more easily.

Personally, I do think most of those "fat %" calculations are not accurate (I've heard the only ones that really work are the ones done by professionals)-- I even had one done at my gym years ago when I first really started working out- then I lost 10lbs and it STILL said I was the exact same fat %? Um... that just didn't seem to add up in my mind. If you keep pushing yourself you'll get to where you want to be hun :) I've watched woman who actually gained weight (muscle) but lost inches and looked more toned and healthy... so it's about what your overall goal is.

I don't "think" I look different. Tbf I only really started on Sunday. I've cut out all coke, chocolate etc. I go to the gym 2/3 times a week or do a workout at home if OH is on nights.

I do treadmill, bike, rower. I do the occasional class. I've not really been in a routine though which is why I don't think it's muscle.

I don't drink much water 2/3 glasses a day probably.

You won't think you look different because you see you every day :D... this is why the pictures. If I hadn't have took them I don't think I would have believed it. What is your target? Within the 9 stone bracket at this point maybe pictures won't help on weight but more the toning and shape of your body with exercise, those will show on pictures but toning and ab works take time.

I did 3 days at the gym. Do you do any strength training at the gym? You should have had a PT at the beginning to give you a workout to suit what your goal is. Every 8 weeks I see one of the gym PTs to up or change my workout as and if needed.

Water they say at least 2 litres, it had amazing results on my skin too and green tea I swear by, I have green tea with a slice of lemon and admit I cannot drink it without a tsp of sweetness light from silver spoon (I find all other sweeteners too bitter) after every meal. You might find you have water retention so get some more down you :D I fill the bottles in the fridge and be sure to have them drank by the end of the night when I refill and fridge to be nice and cold for the next day!

Good luck!

Take pictures!!

I have barely lost any weight in the last 6 months even though I've been hitting the gym and eating properly.

I took a picture ages ago before I started going and then took one the other day - my god the difference! You can see how much less of my belly there is when you look at the sidewards picture.

Take measurements too. I wouldn't trust scales that give body fat percentages, you should really do it with those caliper things to get an accurate reading.

I do some strength training but probably not as much as I should as I get self conscious of all the men :blush:

Will try and drink more water and green tea too :thumbup:

The time I go to the gym around 11am it's fairly quiet and find many of them old men and women, makes me feel ashamed pumping a few kgs and the retired are pumping 50/60kg haha! If I go between 12-2pm I find the younger ones in and I'm the same can feel quite eek but then I think I'm here for me not to look good for you and get on with it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->