Boobs are rubbish!

bumphope

Reaction score
I got off to a rocky start with bf, spent 8 weeks expressing (got such a tiny amount though so I've always combi fed her) and was at the end of my rope. Decided to have one last try at feeding her before I gave up and the silly thing went straight on like a pro! No problems since!

Never had much milk, not sure if it was because she didn't feed as soon as she was born, or if it's because I didn't get much out when I was expressing, or if I just don't have much milk. I'd love to know the reason, I spend a lot of time beating myself up over it :-(

I've been feeding her at every feed, she has all the milk in my boobs which takes her about 20 minutes in the mornings and about 10-15 the rest of the day, then I have to give her formula because there simply isn't enough milk to satisfy her. She often twists her head down and groans while she's feeding - I think it's hard work for not very much!

This has been for the last 12 weeks... And I don't think my supply has increased at all!

Any ideas?

X

you could look into getting your doctor to prescribe Domperidone if you truly aren't making enough.

There are natural things you can try like mothers milk tea. Eating oatmeal regularly, eating lactation cookies, drinking lots of water.
Taking fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I'm doing most of those things already :-(

Maybe I should be looking at the drugs - do you understand how they work? I mean, presumably there's some effect to your body and/or your milk?

X

Domperidone is actually a medicine designed for upset stomachs, the increased milk is a side effect so it's considered 'off-label' and Drs have different opinions about whether or not it should be prescribed. I don't know how reliable it's considered to be, I'm not sure how thoroughly it has been studied on effectiveness for milk production because that's not what it's meant for.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for increasing production that you won't already have heard in a million places. I just wanted to say, don't beat yourself up. Whatever the reason, it's happening and it's not your fault. Any and all body parts can be a bit less effective than is optimal - you wouldn't feel it was your fault if you needed glasses, surely?

It's awesome that you're working so hard to give your baby breast milk and I sincerely hope it works out the way you want it to BUT there is nothing wrong with giving formula, whatever the reason. We are so lucky to have safe, nutritious alternatives to breast feeding.

Thank you. Really appreciate that. I do nothing but beat myself up about it and wish I'd done things differently / known more at the start. You're right, giving her food is the most important thing.... I should just keep going as I am - she's having as much as I can give her. I'm not sure how I feel about taking pills to increase that... Thank you xx

Try not to give her formula just nurse her more often the only way to improve your supply is to tell it you need more. Its supply and demand, the more she demands the more you will supply.

Try not to give her formula just nurse her more often the only way to improve your supply is to tell it you need more. Its supply and demand, the more she demands the more you will supply.

Some ladies have a hard time producing milk no matter what they do whether they are feeding on demand or pumping more often than they should. I know of a lady in the NICU with me who barely produces enough milk to feed her 33 week old baby which is only about 30ml per feed.

To the OP, I would suggest giving that medication a try. I know of someone who takes it and she said from what I remember reading that it really helped her to produce a lot more milk than she was producing.

I might even suggest it for my friend in the NICU. I actually forgot all about it before I read it in this thread and her & I were actually talking about ways she could increase her milk supply the other day.

When you're combi-feeding, unless you want to keep increasing the amount of formula you provide, it's important to leave the formula supplementation volume the same or to slowly decrease it and let your baby and your body do the work (unless you've been diagnosed with a condition that limits the amount of milk you can produce). Even women with abundant supplies who ebf go through what you're describing-- periods of fussiness at the breast, where they seem 'empty' and like baby is in need of more milk and isn't getting it. It's very normal and seems absolutely never-ending for the first several months when baby is going through some of the most rapid growth and development. Have you tried a nursing 'vacation'? Take a few days or a weekend where you forget everything else going on and just hold baby skin-to-skin all day. Let them nap at the breast, encourage them to latch as often as possible, etc. When she's twisting and groaning, it's instinctual. That action encourages another letdown. There is always, always milk in your breasts. Your body is producing it constantly, baby just has to work a little harder if she's taken what you had sitting ready to go in storage. At 4 months, having to work for the milk is okay. A 4 mo old isn't going to just get too tired from it and fall asleep and get dehydrated if they're otherwise healthy like you would worry about in a newborn or preemie. You can even try switch nursing, which is known to increase supply. When you're done with one side, go to the other. When that side is done, switch back. After the next letdown, switch, letdown, switch, etc. Helps you more easily achieve a higher number of letdowns, evacuates milk from the breasts more fully, and the repeated stimulation will boost your supply. It's the nursing equivalent of power pumping, especially if you do breast massage at the same time.
I really just want to say kudos, good job, and "wow" for establishing bf via pumping because that is difficult and many wouldn't be able to. I think if you're conservative with the formula you might be surprised at how quickly your supply catches up. You have to demand it to produce it. There's just no other (drug-free) way around it.

Thank you mommyjogger :)

I hadn't thought about that actually, but I haven't increased the size in her formula feeds for weeks...... Maybe she's getting more from my boobs than I think? Maybe they have increased more than I think and she's more efficient hence the lack of time she's spending??

Not sure how much / if they're meant to eat much more at 4 months vs 3???

X

When you're combi-feeding, unless you want to keep increasing the amount of formula you provide, it's important to leave the formula supplementation volume the same or to slowly decrease it and let your baby and your body do the work (unless you've been diagnosed with a condition that limits the amount of milk you can produce). Even women with abundant supplies who ebf go through what you're describing-- periods of fussiness at the breast, where they seem 'empty' and like baby is in need of more milk and isn't getting it. It's very normal and seems absolutely never-ending for the first several months when baby is going through some of the most rapid growth and development. Have you tried a nursing 'vacation'? Take a few days or a weekend where you forget everything else going on and just hold baby skin-to-skin all day. Let them nap at the breast, encourage them to latch as often as possible, etc. When she's twisting and groaning, it's instinctual. That action encourages another letdown. There is always, always milk in your breasts. Your body is producing it constantly, baby just has to work a little harder if she's taken what you had sitting ready to go in storage. At 4 months, having to work for the milk is okay. A 4 mo old isn't going to just get too tired from it and fall asleep and get dehydrated if they're otherwise healthy like you would worry about in a newborn or preemie. You can even try switch nursing, which is known to increase supply. When you're done with one side, go to the other. When that side is done, switch back. After the next letdown, switch, letdown, switch, etc. Helps you more easily achieve a higher number of letdowns, evacuates milk from the breasts more fully, and the repeated stimulation will boost your supply. It's the nursing equivalent of power pumping, especially if you do breast massage at the same time.
I really just want to say kudos, good job, and "wow" for establishing bf via pumping because that is difficult and many wouldn't be able to. I think if you're conservative with the formula you might be surprised at how quickly your supply catches up. You have to demand it to produce it. There's just no other (drug-free) way around it.

Excellently put and sensitively too. I agree with everything, including saying wow well done!

Not sure how much / if they're meant to eat much more at 4 months vs 3???

X

It is believed that bf babies take similar amounts of milk per feed after the 12 week growth spurt right up to weaning off the breast. The great thing (and the insanely frustrating worrying thing at the beginning) is that you have not got, and cannot get, any control over how much they drink. But that is OK - they know better than us how much they need.

Thanks.... So maybe she is taking more from the boob now, I guess I'll never know!

I'll keep putting her on at every feed, and when she's not being fussy, I'll try changing left, right, left, right etc for a while too.... Then at least I know I'm doing the best I can for her.

I just wish the education was better while we're pregnant. It really is a shame. Plus people who give you advice constantly contradict themselves, and you can never meet the same person twice, it's so difficult! You guys are fantastic, thank you so much for your kind words and helpful ideas :)

X

Thanks.... So maybe she is taking more from the boob now, I guess I'll never know!

Forgot to say, when I was supplementing with formula I never increased the amount of formula she got so that I could wean her back on to the boob full time. One day she refused the bottle (lots of upheaval I think she wanted comfort) and I though "Oh no, I'll have to go through her trying to up my supply, and it'll be just like a growth spurt". In fact she was such an efficient feeder by then that I didn't notice any difference in her behaviour and we never had a bottle again! I bet she's better at drinking from the breast than you realise.

I hope so! I just don't think there's the milk there - It's a good idea not to increase the amount of formula though, then at least I know things are either staying the same or getting better :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->