Booking appointment worries - high BMI

5ft 2 with a high BMI here too :). I was told I will be classed as "high risk". Im not really worried though, they way I look at it, is I am healthy, my weight has never stopped me doing anything at all infact I dont see myself as over weight lol. I hope the sonographer is ok with me .... Im not the type to hold my tongue LOL

Hi, im 5"2 and weigh 16 stone (BMI 39). When i spoke to the midwife about my weight she said that although i would have to see a consultant (this was because of my weight and also because i had to go into hospital with dehydration) she thought that he would probably just sign me off because other than that i am in good health.
I wouldnt worry about your weight hun x x x

I am exactly the same size, weight and age as you so I know exactly how you feel O:)

I have had two early scans because of a bleed and no comments were made regarding my size and they could clearly see the babies (high bmi and twin pregnancy!!).

I had my midwife appointment last week and she didnt make any comments about my weight, just wrote it down and said that because of my higher bmi I would be offered a gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks and offered a dietician appointment (although she said that most people turn this down).

I read all the horror stories online like you have but I honestly haven't had any problems yet and am trying to remain positive about the rest of the pregnancy. I have worried about EVERYTHING else, I am not joking, and think I will until I have my babies here and healthy but my weight isn't worrying me now as there is nothing I can do about it at the moment, I am just focusing on staying healthy.

I also keep telling myself that if my weight was a major issue then I would never have got pregnant.... that being said I will be looking to lose it once bubba's are here :thumbup:

I agree with you, I often think I wouldn't be pregnant if I wasn't supposed to be lol.
Can't stop googling everything! How far along are you? X

I'm 10 weeks 3 days, time seems to be dragging (I know it will fly by though)

Just wanted to say a big thank-you to you lovely ladies!
So glad i'm not alone, and even though this was my first post, i've been knocking about on the forum since my BFP so I feel like I know some of you already.

I'm less nervous about tomorrow now... I might even get some sleep finally LOL

Thanks again, and expect me back tomorrow night with all the details of my booking appt

MWAH XX

i was worried and very embarassed as well. i even had my OH wait in the waiting room during my exam because i thought my weight would be the main topic and i felt ashamed. they weighed me, didnt say a word just marked it in my chart. when going over all of the topics of pregnancy the doctors exact words were:

"as for weight gain, since you are over the average weight for your height you just have to watch from the beginning. we want to keep your gain to 15lbs."

i was so relieved as i am wayyyy over what i should be. i am short (5ft) and should weigh 90-120lbs...ummmm i am nowhere near that!

My BMI is 37..............BUT my BMI in my last pregnancy was 53 :blush: so I feel a lot better & the midwife is happy!! the GP said I must be quite healthy for my body to have regular periods and fall pregnant straight away! I have to have consultant care thats due to my previous C-section & BMI, that entails a GTT (glucose tolerance test) Anethetist appt & an extra scan to check babies growth. I was doing great on a diet & exercise before pregnancy & I will keep a check on my weight this time, unlike last time! :D

In my last pregnancy I was 12kg lighter at booking and I was at a weight I was (fairly) happy with- it was much lighter than I was used
To being as I had lost a load of weight for my wedding. I wasnt made to feel bad at booking but at the ultra sounds, with doctors and monographers I got loads of comments on my tummy and it making it hard to see the baby. That upset me a lot but I guess, fair enough, I have more fat but no need to keep telling me!!
Then later in the pregnancy when I decided to go to te birth centre instead of delivery suite (although I ended up in delivery suite anyway as I demanded an epidural!!) there was some discussion about my BMI but it was fine. I was in the slightly overweight category!!
This time I'm much bigger and petrified. I was about to start a hardcore weight loss programme (only stopped bfeeding in dec and had just got my head straight to shift all the weight I put on whilst preg) and lo and behold I got my BFP. Literally 1 day before my first meeting!!
I was so frightened about my booking appointment but the MW was lovely. I asked if my weight caused risk to the baby and started bawling (oops..!!) and she just said I'm not that big, I've just had a baby (hmm ok 21 months ago, ahem!!) and that I will get two extra appointments- a glucose tolerance test and a nutritionist referral. Apart from that she said it'll be treated as any other pregnancy. She was so nice. I'm a bit concerned what the sonographer will say at 12 weeks, esp as hubby will be there and I hate people bringing up my weight in front of him, grrrr!! But I think it'll be fine apart from that.
Good luck!!

I'm huge, how do we get on the curvy ladies forum or any other on here a actually? I've looked and looked but can't see them, only different pregnancy forums? Hellllp hehe thank you x

They're over in Pregnancy groups, just keep looking down the list of topics until you find them

and 10th :hugs: I know what you mean about piling on the weight since we had our little Septembryo's! I didn't realise how much I'd put on until I jumped on the wii fit and went back through my weights!

Update:

So I had my booking appt today and feel so relieved!
My mw was lovely she just asked me to weigh myself in the other room
And come in and tell her (got to be honest, I did think of knocking off a stone lol
But I figured I'm only really lying to myself if I do)

I asked her about all my concerns and she said she can't see any reason
Why I won't be treated as a regular m2b!

Now just gotta startworrying about getting a rude sonographer friday.
I can handle most things but being slated in front of my OH is another thing.
I mean I'm happy to moan about my weight to him but having someone else go
OnAbout it... Not good.

X

In my last pregnancy I was 12kg lighter at booking and I was at a weight I was (fairly) happy with- it was much lighter than I was used
To being as I had lost a load of weight for my wedding. I wasnt made to feel bad at booking but at the ultra sounds, with doctors and monographers I got loads of comments on my tummy and it making it hard to see the baby. That upset me a lot but I guess, fair enough, I have more fat but no need to keep telling me!!
Then later in the pregnancy when I decided to go to te birth centre instead of delivery suite (although I ended up in delivery suite anyway as I demanded an epidural!!) there was some discussion about my BMI but it was fine. I was in the slightly overweight category!!
This time I'm much bigger and petrified. I was about to start a hardcore weight loss programme (only stopped bfeeding in dec and had just got my head straight to shift all the weight I put on whilst preg) and lo and behold I got my BFP. Literally 1 day before my first meeting!!
I was so frightened about my booking appointment but the MW was lovely. I asked if my weight caused risk to the baby and started bawling (oops..!!) and she just said I'm not that big, I've just had a baby (hmm ok 21 months ago, ahem!!) and that I will get two extra appointments- a glucose tolerance test and a nutritionist referral. Apart from that she said it'll be treated as any other pregnancy. She was so nice. I'm a bit concerned what the sonographer will say at 12 weeks, esp as hubby will be there and I hate people bringing up my weight in front of him, grrrr!! But I think it'll be fine apart from that.
Good luck!!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm happy to discuss my weight with OH but I have this irrational fear that if he thinks someone else thinks I'm a heffer he might start to notice! X

Lol!!! I know!!! Somewhere deep inside i know I'm deluded but I think I hope he hasn't noticed how big I've gotten!!! Madness!!

Update:

So I had my booking appt today and feel so relieved!
My mw was lovely she just asked me to weigh myself in the other room
And come in and tell her (got to be honest, I did think of knocking off a stone lol
But I figured I'm only really lying to myself if I do)

I asked her about all my concerns and she said she can't see any reason
Why I won't be treated as a regular m2b!

Now just gotta startworrying about getting a rude sonographer friday.
I can handle most things but being slated in front of my OH is another thing.
I mean I'm happy to moan about my weight to him but having someone else go
OnAbout it... Not good.

X

Aah glad it went well and fingers crossed for a nice sonographer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->