Booking appointment worries - high BMI

Gemmylou86

Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is a touchy subject for some including me but I'm just going to bite the bullet.
I've always been a bigger lady, and although it's caused me some emotional stress it's never
Stopped me from doing anything - including getting pregnant!
I'm 12wks5 today and so over the moon but I'm SERIOUSLY worried about my booking appt tomorrow.
At 5.6" and around 17st 6lbmy bmi is roughly 38-39.

This is my first pregnancy and it was accidental.
I had joined SW and lost over 1st... Infact it was my sw consultant who suggested
I might be preg in the first place due to 4wks of no weight loss!
So anyways I always swore to get the weight off before babies but
It just never happened lol! I'm 25 and in perfect health otherwise.

I 've been reading horror stories online about ride mw's and sonographers, being told I have to
Have a consultant led pregnancy, and even someone said the mw wrote on her notes that she would
need a special bed for labour (i think the girl weighed around 15st).

I'm just working myself up wondering if I'm going to be treated like
A criminal.

Can anyone offer advice/your own experiences pls?

Thanks and sorry for long post
X

Hi, I don't have any experience with high BMI, but didn't want to just read then go without replying.

No one has the right to be rude to you about your weight, please don't worry too much as stress isn't going to be good for you or the baby.

I'm sure someone will be able to offer some good advice soon :)

I was worried as well (my BMI is 30) and said so when I stood on the scales, she just giggled and said well it's all in kg so neither of us have a clue what you weigh. She's right I haven't a clue what 90kg is in real money!

I thought perhaps she'd say I needed to see a consultant as I'm borderline overweight/obese but nope she never said anything.

If she's mean (which I doubt) just explain that you are aware it might increase risks but you were trying to lose weight beforehand and now want to maintain a healthier lifestyle. If you butt in before a possible rant then she'll have nothing else to say.

hi there,
i also have a higher than average bmi at 5'2 and also apart from this have perfect health
my midwife did mention at booking appointments that they would do extra checks etc, but hasnt made a massive deal of it although it did make me feel embarrissed but the more i think of it the less bothered i am

i seen the consultant from about 16 weeks only twice in total so far ( im now 32 weeks)
and they gave me a very low dose of paracetamol to thin the blood to reduce risk of placenta problems, and also was given appointments for growth scans ar 32 and 38 weeks which im taking as a plus, thr way i look at it is as long as my baby is healthy thats my only interest they can moan as much as they like about me :)

good luck and try not to worry :)

No experience personally and I'm glad there are others with more positive advice for you.
You have been trying to loose weight and SW is adaptable for pregnancy so you can continue if you wish to.
No-one should be rude to you and your body is obviously happy to be carrying a baby so I hope you have no problems with the rest of your pregnancy.
I'm surprised that you are only just having your booking appointment and havent had a scan yet. (depending is you are in the uk of course)
Good luck with it and make sure you ask the questions you want to aswell.

I'm 5 foot 6, 17st 5lb with the same BMI, this is my 2nd pregnancy, first time around I was allowed to have a home birth and have everything I wanted, the only different thing was the test for gestational diabetes, I never got to have my home birth as the duty midwife sent me to the hospital due to high blood pressure and baby's head being swollen.

This time around I apparently have to see a consultant to discuss pain relief options (it's all changed in 2 years!) and what would happen if there was a need for emergency procedures!

Apart from that nothing will differ in this pregnancy and the care I will get. Although I think it depends on your midwife and what PCT you fall under!

If you wanna chat feel free to PM me, or there's a group called Curvy Ladies which is for us bigger mummy's to be :)

It's not a bad thing being a bigger lady and pregnant *hugs* Try not to worry about it, you managed to get pregnant so your body can't be too bad! :) xx

No experience personally and I'm glad there are others with more positive advice for you.
You have been trying to loose weight and SW is adaptable for pregnancy so you can continue if you wish to.
No-one should be rude to you and your body is obviously happy to be carrying a baby so I hope you have no problems with the rest of your pregnancy.
I'm surprised that you are only just having your booking appointment and havent had a scan yet. (depending is you are in the uk of course)
Good luck with it and make sure you ask the questions you want to aswell.

I've got my scan on friday but yes it's taken a while to get going lol.
I went to docs and got a bfp around 3 days after my first missed period
SoIt's not even as though it's taken so long bcos I didn't realise I was preg! X

I'm 5 foot 6, 17st 5lb with the same BMI, this is my 2nd pregnancy, first time around I was allowed to have a home birth and have everything I wanted, the only different thing was the test for gestational diabetes, I never got to have my home birth as the duty midwife sent me to the hospital due to high blood pressure and baby's head being swollen.

This time around I apparently have to see a consultant to discuss pain relief options (it's all changed in 2 years!) and what would happen if there was a need for emergency procedures!

Apart from that nothing will differ in this pregnancy and the care I will get. Although I think it depends on your midwife and what PCT you fall under!

If you wanna chat feel free to PM me, or there's a group called Curvy Ladies which is for us bigger mummy's to be :)

It's not a bad thing being a bigger lady and pregnant *hugs* Try not to worry about it, you managed to get pregnant so your body can't be too bad! :) xx

Thanks hun.
It's so nice to hear someone in the same position.
I 'mprobably super sensitive on this subject and always fear the worst.
I'm just so used to it... I remember going on the pill for the first time and the nurse pretty
Much suggested there was no point, like she couldn't get her head round the fact I had actually found
Someone who wanted to sleep with me!
So insensitive! Xxx

Yep! I was always told to lose weight, when I went to the doc and decided to come off the pill and start trying for our first I was told to lose weight first!

I was so mad with the doctor! When I've been told to lose weight since I say - well, I don't smoke or drink, I walk everywhere or take public transport, I'm fairly healthy and happy, so no, I won't lose weight!

However in saying that me and my mum are planning on doing weight watchers once I've had the baby, :lol: this is the heaviest I've ever been and trying to find decent maternity clothes is a nightmare in this town! I now need a 20 and they all stop at 16/18!

I am exactly the same size, weight and age as you so I know exactly how you feel O:)

I have had two early scans because of a bleed and no comments were made regarding my size and they could clearly see the babies (high bmi and twin pregnancy!!).

I had my midwife appointment last week and she didnt make any comments about my weight, just wrote it down and said that because of my higher bmi I would be offered a gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks and offered a dietician appointment (although she said that most people turn this down).

I read all the horror stories online like you have but I honestly haven't had any problems yet and am trying to remain positive about the rest of the pregnancy. I have worried about EVERYTHING else, I am not joking, and think I will until I have my babies here and healthy but my weight isn't worrying me now as there is nothing I can do about it at the moment, I am just focusing on staying healthy.

I also keep telling myself that if my weight was a major issue then I would never have got pregnant.... that being said I will be looking to lose it once bubba's are here :thumbup:

Can't believe there's 3 of us who are 25 and exactly the same in weight/height/BMI :lol: I hope you ladies aren't also called Leigh :lol:

Having been through one pregnancy and birth as a big girl (think last time my BMI was 36/37) I hope to give you hope that things will be fine and to NOT listen to the scaremongering "health professionals" (sometimes you have to listen to the, but you know your body best!)

When I first booked my prenatal appointment, I told them my weight in case it would require them to take extra precautions or cause any problems. They weren't worried at all, and I got treated very well at my first appointment (my second is on Friday). By the way, I'm VERY obese.

I am exactly the same size, weight and age as you so I know exactly how you feel O:)

I have had two early scans because of a bleed and no comments were made regarding my size and they could clearly see the babies (high bmi and twin pregnancy!!).

I had my midwife appointment last week and she didnt make any comments about my weight, just wrote it down and said that because of my higher bmi I would be offered a gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks and offered a dietician appointment (although she said that most people turn this down).

I read all the horror stories online like you have but I honestly haven't had any problems yet and am trying to remain positive about the rest of the pregnancy. I have worried about EVERYTHING else, I am not joking, and think I will until I have my babies here and healthy but my weight isn't worrying me now as there is nothing I can do about it at the moment, I am just focusing on staying healthy.

I also keep telling myself that if my weight was a major issue then I would never have got pregnant.... that being said I will be looking to lose it once bubba's are here :thumbup:

I agree with you, I often think I wouldn't be pregnant if I wasn't supposed to be lol.
Can't stop googling everything! How far along are you? X

Can't believe there's 3 of us who are 25 and exactly the same in weight/height/BMI :lol: I hope you ladies aren't also called Leigh :lol:

Having been through one pregnancy and birth as a big girl (think last time my BMI was 36/37) I hope to give you hope that things will be fine and to NOT listen to the scaremongering "health professionals" (sometimes you have to listen to the, but you know your body best!)

I know it's quite amazing. I thought I was alone in this!
Whats your dd?

Have you been told you have to have consultant-led care rather then a mw? X

By LMP I'm sue 6th Jan, by ovulation 14th Jan, so who knows :lol:

I'll be having midwife led care I think, I need to go and get my bloody notes from the surgery and see what it says in there!

Saw my MW at 7 weeks, and she said that she had more scribbling to do in my notes, went there last week and they weren't there! So hopefully they'll have turned up soon!

I do have to see a consultant at some point, but that's nearer the time I think, luckily she didn't have any concerns about my weight. When I went to the doc the week before my BP was high, but when the MW took it here it was back to normal so I think they're gonna keep an eye on that more so than my weight!

Ive had a high bmi with last 3 babies. it didnt cause any problems with regards to pregnancy.

The only time i felt self concious was when the sonographer made me feel bad while scanning and when i was being rushed for an emergency c/s last time.

Ive got a scan this week, 1st for this baby. and if anything is said in a horrible way that makes me feel bad i am going to say somthing. ive bitten my tongue in the past and determined not to do it this time.

I hope ur continuing with ur sw. i know its a diet you can do while pregnant. so far ive lost 1st since i found out i was pregnant and ive only been cutting out. i would like to lose another few st, but will see how it goes. good luck

Written in my notes, it says consultant led care, the midwife at the hospital said it was to do with my height, im nearly 5foot, she didnt mention that it was to do with my weight aswell but im guessing so :( well the last time i weighed myself i was 10st4 she did say my bmi was high but my bmi will always be high for my height unless i weigh 7stone somehing :/ Starting to get really down now, all i hear being mentioned is high bmi etc I lost like 3stone in the last 2 years and planing on going to slimming world when I finally see the midwife at 16 weeks coz i no u have to get permission. Just sick of it all feeling so down and guilty about eating anything :(

hunni my BMI is 40, and my midwife didn't bat an eyelid. It does make our pregnancy more 'high risk' and we will have to have a doctor present at our births as well as a midwife but other than that not much will change. I have now seen my consultant and she was lovely- just congratulated me and explained how things would differ slightly and what would happen in an emergency situation. We will also be monitored closely for gestational diabetes and preeclampsia during later pregnancy as these are very common when you're overweight. and may get extra scans to check on baby- lucky us! :)

Good luck, try not toworry

xx

Hi,

I am 5ft2 and 18st so a very high BMI! I was a stone lighter when I fell pregnant with my daughter but I was treated the same as anyone else, I was consultant led but honestl only saw her twice maybe 3 times and she wasnt at the birth!

I havent had my booking appt yet but I am expecting it to be the same as last time. I did find the sonograghers really sweet, on my earlier scans they would write low resolution scan on the notes, it was obvoius to me that it was because of the extra weight but they just said it was because they were old machines :laugh2:

The one thing that should have been looked into was the fact I was losing alot of weight in pregnancy But the midwife didnt seem to worry about it! (turned out I had cancer, diagnosed at 36 weeks) But I suppose alot of women do lose weight but I was just unlucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->