Books on natural birth

Kess

Reaction score
I came on to ask about books and CDs on hynobirthing, but there is already a helpful thread on those. The other thing I wanted to ask was recommendations on books on natural birthing. I'm only 13 weeks, but it's feeling real now and I'm getting increasingly scared about the birth. I have an anxiety disorder, the main trigger for which is my not being in control, so the idea of birth where I can't control what's happening is very scary. That's why I'm aiming for a homebirth, to retain as much control as possible, and a hypnobirth, as I know hypnotherapy works on me and helps maintain calm.

What books on natural birthing can people recommend?

Hi Kess - arming yourself with knowledge is a brilliant idea.

There is a thread on here with lots of book reccomendation.
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/509082-book-recommendations.html

Happy reading
Nic
x

Birthing from Within
Spiritual Midwifery
Husband Coached Childbirth
Hypnobirthing
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

I've bought:
Birth Skills: Proven Pain Management Techniques for Your Labour and Birth by Juju Sundin and Sara someoneorother
The Father's Homebirth Handbook (I'm going to make DH, my Dad and anyone else who is worried read this)
and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

I have started all three, but lost a little faith in the Juju Sundin book after she stated that she and her co-author both used drugs as pain relief in their labours - it doesn't fill me with confidence in her methods if she still needed drugs! I love the Father's Handbook though, so far.

I need a good hypnobirthing book still, and I'm going to try and get one with an accompanying CD. I'm also going to try and get some more that people have mentioned from the library.

don't know if its in the list but one of my favourite books was childbirth without fear.... not exactly about natural birthing but explains why childbirth doesn't hurt for most people / animals but we MAKE it hurt in our hospitalised societies.... so basically will show you why its important to not be anxious during birth and how being calm and believing in your body can help you xxx

I also recommend "Birthing From Within" as well as "Natural Birthing the Bradley Way" (I think that's what it's called). I also find "Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin to be a good overall book that explains pretty much everything pregnancy and birth wise (including interventions which you may encounter) in a relatively non-biased way though she does lean towards the natural approach.... And a hypnobirthing book would be good to have as well.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

The Official Lamaze Guide (I really like this one)

Instinctive Birthing

She Births

I know this post is a few days old, but I highly recommend Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth!

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->