Books written from a child's perspective

Marie000

Reaction score
I need something to read.

I've always thought there was no rhyme or reason to the kind of books I like, but I did find one interesting in common with some of the books I have loved lately. Many of them are written from a child's perspective. I like how creative, open-minded and quirky children can be in their view of things.

Here are some examples of books I have read and loved lately:
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane
- The Book of Lost Things
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
- Coraline
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Boys Life
- The God of Small Things (that one I read a few years ago, but I seem to remember it was written from the children's point of view).

There might be more. I've only had a few hours sleep last night and my brain is not working at full capacity. :wacko:

So lots of different styles, but they all have a child's point of view. Of course they're not the only books I have loved, but they are among my favorites.

However, (and I might get beaten up for saying that) I didn't enjoy reading the Harry Potter books. I watched the movies and love the stories, but I just can't stand the writing style. :blush:

Does anyone have suggestions for other books written from a child's perspective? I am curious to see if the trend continues and I keep loving those books...

Don't worry, I feel the same way. Harry Potter is really badly written, even when you consider it is written for children, it is still awful. Very over-simplified or something..

Anyway, Pi is good, and I think it is written from the child's perspective?

Also if you are looking for something sortof darkly funny with some twists, there are a few collections of Roald Dahl adult books which are great. There is one called 'Tales of the Unexpected' which is amazing. I must have read it about 60 times by now!

Also The Book Thief is really good.

I found The Boy in the Striped Pajamas heartbreaking because it came from a childs perspective, as good of an adaption as the movie is, it can't quite capture the last devastating moments of the book.

I found The Boy in the Striped Pajamas heartbreaking because it came from a childs perspective, as good of an adaption as the movie is, it can't quite capture the last devastating moments of the book.

Completely agree. When they announced they were doing a film I wasn't sure how they could capture the naivity of the story.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is good. That's what the movie Simon Birch is based on.

Oh and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

They're both adults novels but I think speak from the child's perspective in the story and certainly have a child as the main character. Both are a bit teary though.

Lord of the flies is third person but the perspective of children - you get a lot of their inner thoughts. However i must confess i haven't been brave enough to read since having my daughter as it is quite grim!
Recently i read 'when god was a rabbit' which follows the protagonist from young child of about 4 to adulthood - thought it was fabulous.
Or 'the earth hums in b flat' took me a while to get into but really enjoyed it in the end.

room by emma donoghue is the only other one i can think of, i didn't think the writing was so great but it's still worth a read!

I'm about 3/4 through Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman at the moment and it's good. It's written from the perspective of an 11 year old Ghanaian boy living in London, sort of a murder mystery.

The first Adrian Mole book is still one of my favourites. Also there's the Kite Runner.

Freaks, Geeks, and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence is a great little non-fiction by a young boy called Luke Jackson.

The first Adrian Mole book is still one of my favourites. Also there's the Kite Runner.

Freaks, Geeks, and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence is a great little non-fiction by a young boy called Luke Jackson.

Omg love Adrian mole - might have to dig my copy out after reading this!

Was going to suggest the Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and the Kite Runner but they've been mentioned a few times already!

TS Spivet is also good from what I remember.

thanks for all the suggestions. I will update my to-read list. :thumbup:

I had noticed the movie for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas on Netflix and it looked good. I never got around to watching it because I don't think OH would like it. I didn't even know there was a book. Good thing I haven't watched the movie yet.

I will definitely never ever read the boy in the striped pyjamas if its worse than the film lol! The film is horrific! What about The Lovely Bones? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->