Borderline smear and now colposcopy?

nicky

Reaction score
Hi girls, just looking for anyone that may have some experience of either of these. Really just for reassurance more than anything. I have just had my third borderline smear and have been referred for colposcopy. I am a bit worried and don't really know what to expect. :cry:

Hi Nicky - I had a couple of abnormal smears a few years ago and had to go for a colposcopy. Its nothing to worry about, just like a smear but takes longer!! There was no pain or anything afterwards and I was completely back to normal (and having healthy smears) soon after :)

Thanks Laura. Did you have to have any treatment (if you don't mind me asking).

Hey, I had a abnormal smear (CIN 111) and had to go for a colposcopy..you are sat on a chair that exposes your bits, they use the smear equipment and also put a tiny camera up there and you get to see your own cervix on the screen (mine was named Colin lol). They then spray it to numb it and it turns white on 'bad' cells. They then take a pinch of these cells that feels like a little tug then its all over. You can leave right away. No sex for 2 weeks and you may have a little brown discharge afterwards and period like pain. I then had to have further treatment, a loop biopsy. Thats the same as the colposcopy but they spray the cervix to show the cells up and then inject anaesthetic there then they removed all the affected cells. No sex after this one for 6 weeks, bled for about a week on and off and moderate period like pain..I then got the results which came back as all clear from being pre cancerous cells. Then I have had to have smears 6mthly and now on year;y for 10 years. All have been normal since treatment.
Both dont hurt when being done and the Girls that did mine were lovely and know you are scared so look after you. You will feel a bit tender afterwards but nothing paracetomol doesnt fix (I took them before having it done to be dosed up already). x

My experience was much different.
At 16 I had my first abnormal smear. I had a colposcopy a few weeks after that. They stuck a small camera inside to view the cells (although I wasn't able to see it on a monitor like the previous poster). Then they rubbed a vinegar solution on the area and took a small biopsy (a quick pinch followed by mild cramping). Then they put a peanut butter like solution on the area to stop the bleeding. They gave me a pad in case I spotted after and sent me on my way. I had mild cramping the rest of the day and had to refrain from putting anything inside for 2 weeks. The results of that particular colposcopy were mildly abnormal (They usually say its normal, mildly abnormal, or CINIII aka pre-cervical cancer). I continued to have abnormal pap smears and mildly abnormal colposcopys every time I came back. Last year I had a colposcopy that came back with CINIII and had to have a LEEP procedure.
The LEEP procedure was painful (I don't want to scare you but I also don't want you to be surprised if you have the same experience). This procedure involved: Shots of anesthetic (I dont think the anesthatic worked for me or something), laser to cut out the bad cells and cauterize, and an injection of epinephrin (only used if they think you have a high risk of infection) which causes your heart to race. I have heard people say that their LEEP was painless and some like me say it was painful. I also had abnormal problems after the LEEP: my incision broke (after 3 weeks and I wasn't heavy lifting or anything) and I have permanent increased sensitivity to my cervix (pap smears are now very painful). Like I said, I don't want to scare you but also don't want you to be in the dark (I wish someone had prepared me).

EDIT: just realized you both are in different countries so maybe the treatments are different.

Thanks girls. Just hearing other stories makes me feel better. I don't know anybody who has even had an abnormal smear so didn't have anyone to ask x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->