• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Borderline Underactive Thyroid

Blondie26

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first post but I wondered if anyone can help or share their experience as I am getting so desperate!

I am 34 and have been trying for a year with no luck whatsoever. My GP ran blood tests and my thyroid came back borderline underactive. My TSH was 5.84 and T4 11. She said that she wouldn't treat at this level. I've read loads on it and it seems that it is well established that it has to be below 2 for baby making ad pregnancy. I went back but to another doctor, armed with all of my research (which annoyed her!) but she also refused. I broke down as I was just so frustrated as I have loads of symptoms too but they won't help me. Se called the local endocrinologist who also said that they wouldn't treat but to repeat the test in six weeks. However, if TSH is at this level or lower they won't treat.

This seems so crazy to me as they have now put me on the list for assisted conception which I am convinced that I won't need if they just give me thyroid treatment which is inexpensive and has very few side effects.

It feels like there is a clear issue there which can be easily fixed but that they won't help me and have just resigned themselves to the fact that I will need IVF or other assistance.

I am also worried that if I do happen to fall pregnant that this will cause MC or have an effect on my baby and experience has shown that my GP practice is not proactive when it comes to thyroid issues in pregnancy or when TTC.

Anyone have any similar experience or advice?

Thank you!

Sorry for your frustrations! I do have hypothyroidism and even though I am being treated, it's happened to me several times where I was where you are with symptoms and they just shrugged at me.

If you're going for assisted conception bring up your thyroid tests. Not sure who you'll go for with that help but they might be willing to help you.

Either way, repeat the test in 6 weeks like they want. It'll give them a picture of what your thyroid is doing. They may want to see what your numbers do before moving forward with treatment.

Thanks so much Cheshire Ducky. Do you mind me asking how you've managed with TTC with thyroid issues? Thank you!

Not at all! I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid and when I decided to start TTC I went to him and let him know. He adjusted my meds to put me in the desired range for conceiving and told me to call him as soon as I get a positive pregnancy test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->