bottle feeds?

divadexie

Reaction score
I have started giving Anna bottle feeds and at the moment we only do one or two a day so she doesnt get tired, she is on 3 hourly feeds.

But today she just didnt want to walk up for the bottle she didnt really seem that hungry?
I tried sitting her up a bit, burping her but after the first 5ml she wasnt interested so the nurse put it in the tube.

She was even changed right before this though so maybe she is just a bit tired?
We did 2 bottle feeds yesterday the first one she took almost the whole thng then next feed was tube then I was back in the evening and she took half.

So I think maybe just do one tomorrow.

But how will I know she is ready to try more than one bottle feed a day?

Of course because she was moved to 3hourly today she will be feeling fuller, it was a jump from 25ml to 37.

I dont want to rush her obv but she wont be coming home until she is taking 3oz bottle every 3 hours (average) then the paediatrician will be happy with the feeding enough to gain weight well.

It is common for prem babies to be tired when they begin feeding because they now have to work for their food but she will start to feed better gradually. Every day makes a big difference. These things take time and I know it's frustrating but she will get there.

She will gradually start waking up for every feed as she becomes aware she is hungry but as every baby is different it's hard to put a timeframe on it.

Sophie was put from getting all her feeds by tube one day, to demand breastfeeding the next day, and she ended up exhausting. As 25 weeker said, it's a big step going from getting all their food put straight into their tummy every so many hours, to having to work for it. There's a lot to co-ordinate with swallowing, sucking and breathing all at once and Sophie struggled with that at the beginning - she was older and much bigger as well. But one week made a massive difference. Anna will get there soon - she's just tiny and just learning and getting tired easily.

xx

Sophie was put from getting all her feeds by tube one day, to demand breastfeeding the next day, and she ended up exhausting. As 25 weeker said, it's a big step going from getting all their food put straight into their tummy every so many hours, to having to work for it. There's a lot to co-ordinate with swallowing, sucking and breathing all at once and Sophie struggled with that at the beginning - she was older and much bigger as well. But one week made a massive difference. Anna will get there soon - she's just tiny and just learning and getting tired easily.

xx

I couldnt have put it better myself!:thumbup:

Wow I am glad for dumfries for that then! The nurse said that they dont start of jumping to demand feeding, breast or bottle, when they hav been so use to having their tummy filled before they even start to feel 'really hungry'.
They have got so much to learn about feeding no wonder sophie got exhausted Anna was tired after one bottle feed.

But- so far she has been Fantastic with the suck swallow breath thing :D
The teat on the bottle I brought was a bit too fast and that was overwhelming her, but the hospital prem teats fit so thats all good :)

Its my fave time of the day, when she has finished her feed, to put her on my chest for a cuddle she falls fast asleep for about half an hour before filling the nappy that was just put on before the feed Lol I am going to go thru some amount of nappies hahaha

Its common hun cos they try so hard. Chloe and Jaycee started off with one bottle in the afternoon and they took ages to go onto two bottles but as soon as they were on 2, they were on 3 until all their feeds were via a bottle.. She will get there. Maybe its just a case of getting used to it. We would all be nice and content if we didnt have to chew our food and it was just put into our bellies lol.
Well done Anna for having a bottle feed... :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"