• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bottle rejection - help!

1nceUponATime

Reaction score
My DD is 8 weeks old and is EBF. At 2 wks old she was given a couple bottles of expressed breastmilk because I had to go to the hospital due to spinal headaches from the epidural and she drank them down. I didn't want her to have them but she had to. At 4 weeks old my DH offered her a bottle of expressed breastmilk and she refused and we have tried on and off briefly but she rejects them in addition to pacifiers. The pacifier rejection is fine but I have to go back to work in three weeks and she still won't drink. I went out today for four hours and she screamed with DH The entire time and didn't drink a bottle, he just let the milk drip in her mouth while she screamed but she never sucked. At least last weekend she screamed but ended up drinking after an hour when I went grocery shopping. I just don't want her to go to daycare and scream the whole time! I've tried all kinds of bottles and nipples and it just seems like she just doesn't want them! She also cries with DH Anytime I give her to him. I feel so bad for him. I try to explain she's just use to me 24-7 and the comforts I have to offer her... but he feels like she doesn't like him :(

She also cries with DH Anytime I give her to him. I feel so bad for him. I try to explain she's just use to me 24-7 and the comforts I have to offer her... but he feels like she doesn't like him :(

Im afraid I can't help with the bottle stuff, but in terms of your LO not "liking" your DH I think there is more going on than just being used to you. Attachment theory suggests it is a matter of survival that a baby wants its mother - a baby isn't aware that bottles exist, they have just evolved to scream for their mother because the babies who stayed with their mothers got enough food, warmth and protection to survive. (I would argue an 8 week old doesn't really "like" anyone in the same way adults do - she's still in survival instinct mode).

Will she take a bottle from you? or from your DH when you are in the same room?

No she won't take one from me either.... she has taken them like on random occasion (not without fuss) we've convinced her to take an ounce but maybe it's a matter of consistency.... I also don't want her to prefer the bottle to me, but maybe we need to offer her one everyday in order to get her use to one and then just use them on the days we need to.

I would agree I don't think she doesn't like my DH, but I can see how it's hard not to feel that way when your baby screams every time you hold her. I reassure him it's just a phase because she's so little and someday she's going to be such a daddy's girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->