Boys School Shoes?

rosie272

mum to charlie finn
Reaction score
What shoes did you get your boy for starting school? I'm having a mini meltdown finding suitable shoes for Charlie! I was looking at Kickers but we tried them on and he was complaining they were too hard. He's worn Converse and comfy shoes for the last 3.5 years so I'm struggling to find soft, black leather shoes with a velcro fastening! Any suggestons? Have also looked at M&S walkmates but they're hard as well :wacko:

We have M&S ones, Lacoste shoes are comfy, he has one in white for sports days & they come in black

We have M&S ones, Lacoste shoes are comfy, he has one in white for sports days & they come in black

Thanks hon! Which M&S ones did you get? Are they soft? I like Lacoste shoes but at his school they're not allowed any brand labels for gym class, just black plimsoles x

We have those 2 xx

Eta: he never complains about them, so I guess they'd ok loool , he's picky with shoes but he's fine with those, they don't wear them indoors, they wear socks with crocs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11
The pair on the left look like the ones I tried in John Lewis, that Charlie also said were hard! I suppose he's gonna have to get used to harder shoes at some point! x

I haven't started looking for Ben yet, but I'll prob try a budget pair first because money's tight at the mo. I just found these:

https://www.clothingattesco.com/f+f-leather-riptape-strap-school-shoes/invt/ak411094

They do look a bit hard but I'm hoping he's ok with them. Could you ask what bit hurts your son? Maybe soft insoles could help? Or try stretching the shoe a bit by stuffiting it with slightly damp newspaper for a while, gives the shoe a more worn feeling iykwim.

Daniel's always had Startrite and they are pretty soft. I always pale slightly at the price but given that 1 pair lasts him the whole school year it's not that bad really lol.

I haven't started looking for Ben yet, but I'll prob try a budget pair first because money's tight at the mo. I just found these:

https://www.clothingattesco.com/f+f-leather-riptape-strap-school-shoes/invt/ak411094

They do look a bit hard but I'm hoping he's ok with them. Could you ask what bit hurts your son? Maybe soft insoles could help? Or try stretching the shoe a bit by stuffiting it with slightly damp newspaper for a while, gives the shoe a more worn feeling iykwim.

He says they hurt all over and moans until he gets them off again! He does enjoy a good moan these days mind you :haha: I remember stretching my shoes with damp newspaper years ago! It does work, might give it a try

Daniel's always had Startrite and they are pretty soft. I always pale slightly at the price but given that 1 pair lasts him the whole school year it's not that bad really lol.

I quite like Startrite shoes and don't think I'd be put off by the price if they are comfy enough. What about scuffs and scrapes? Do you just use black shoe polish on them and do they still look ok after a year of wear? (Sorry for 20 questions :lol: )

I quite like Startrite shoes and don't think I'd be put off by the price if they are comfy enough. What about scuffs and scrapes? Do you just use black shoe polish on them and do they still look ok after a year of wear? (Sorry for 20 questions :lol: )

We use proper black polish (rather than the liquid stuff). It takes about 5-10 min tops to polish them and they come up like new. I can never seem to upload photos from my phone onto here otherwise I'd post a picture of them for you.
His current pair he's had since sept and there is a hole in the sole (he cycles to school and uses his shoes as a break!!) and it looks like the front has scuffed right through (again probably from cycling). He always grows over the summer so really don't want to buy another pair now when I know by the end of the summer he'll of grown out if the new pair and only worn them for 7 weeks.
One thing to bear in mind is that DS only has his school shoes and a pair of trainers in the winter and sandels in the summer so his school shoes get worn an excessive amount of time.

We use proper black polish (rather than the liquid stuff). It takes about 5-10 min tops to polish them and they come up like new. I can never seem to upload photos from my phone onto here otherwise I'd post a picture of them for you.
His current pair he's had since sept and there is a hole in the sole (he cycles to school and uses his shoes as a break!!) and it looks like the front has scuffed right through (again probably from cycling). He always grows over the summer so really don't want to buy another pair now when I know by the end of the summer he'll of grown out if the new pair and only worn them for 7 weeks.
One thing to bear in mind is that DS only has his school shoes and a pair of trainers in the winter and sandels in the summer so his school shoes get worn an excessive amount of time.

Thanks! Charlie will be cycling or on a scooter to school as well and that's why I was worried about scuffs and scratches, I suppose I can change him in and out of different shoes for getting there and back. That's good to know they'll last for the year assuming his feet don't grow rapidly (like the rest of him seems to be at the moment :haha: )

I just got a pair from Asda last year, I got them in a rush and was wary, I was going to pick up another pair when I had chance but tbh I'm really impressed with the Asda ones. He's been wearing them since October and they look exactly the same as they did when I bought them. He has an awful habit of tapping his tiptoes on the floor so all his shoes get ruined with scuffs but these haven't marked at all.
This is them: https://direct.asda.com/george/boys...l-twin-strap-shoes/G004608928,default,pd.html
Idk how soft they are, he's never mentioned it.

I just happen to be sat in Asda cafe reading this now :haha: Will go and have a look at the shoes :thumbup:

Thanks! Charlie will be cycling or on a scooter to school as well and that's why I was worried about scuffs and scratches, I suppose I can change him in and out of different shoes for getting there and back. That's good to know they'll last for the year assuming his feet don't grow rapidly (like the rest of him seems to be at the moment :haha: )

Unless he constantly drags his shoes along the ground then they should last longer than Daniel's. We have a hill on the way home and he quite literally drags his feet the whole way lol

Unless he constantly drags his shoes along the ground then they should last longer than Daniel's. We have a hill on the way home and he quite literally drags his feet the whole way lol

Oh that drives me nuts :haha: he has been known to drag his feet when he's on his scooter and take the toes out of his shoes. I usually put him in cheappie high tops for scootering because I know they'll get wrecked but not willing to do that with expensive school shoes! Was having a look at Startrite online and seen some good ones, so will nip into John Lewis and try them on :thumbup:

We have the black dinosaur style from clarks. They still look like new after a quick polish and that's after a year in full time nursery. Getting another pair for this September :) he loves them too and he is really fussy with shoes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->