Boys v girls: Galloping horse/steam train?

Ruth 1980

Reaction score
As all of you have a baby (or multiples! :winkwink:) I'm just wondering if the old wives tale was true for you: Did your baby girl's fetal heartbeat sound like a galloping horse? And did your baby boy's sound like a steam train??....
We have the 20week scan tomorrow and will be asking gender, and yesterday I had a check up with the GP who did a Doppler, and I was struck by how much it sounded like a steam train! A vague memory triggered in my mind about it and I had to google :winkwink:
I'd be interested to know how many of you it was true for!
Thanks x

Mine sounded like a bit of both but definitely heard a galloping horse more clearly more often. Train was in the early days, but after 16w it was clearly a horse :)

Mine sounded like a bit of both but definitely heard a galloping horse more clearly more often. Train was in the early days, but after 16w it was clearly a horse :)

And you had a girl! There could be some truth in it then! :thumbup:
Thanks x

Mine was very much a galloping horse and very fast. It was around 150-160bpm for the first 12 or so weeks.

Wasn't true for me; I had a boy.

Every old wives tale pointed to girl for me (chinese gender prediction, heart rate, awful morning sickness, ring test) but I knew he was a boy.

Mine was very much a galloping horse and very fast. It was around 150-160bpm for the first 12 or so weeks.

Wasn't true for me; I had a boy.

Every old wives tale pointed to girl for me (chinese gender prediction, heart rate, awful morning sickness, ring test) but I knew he was a boy.

There's a 50-50 chance then :haha:
Thanks x

Worked for me! I also had awful morning sickness and a hairy bump which mean girl lol

Mine sounded a bit of both, more of a steam train tbh and I had a girl. Never heard of those old wives tales :)

Mine was always steam train sounding, all the old wives tales said boy for me and I had a girl

Very fast hb around 160 bpm with both my daughter and my son. Fast galloping horses with both.

No sickness or any symptoms at all with my daughter. I did have on/off nausea and was sick a couple times around 7 weeks with my son.

They both sounded the same. Only difference was Thomas always had a faster heartbeat.

Not sure if this will work as it's from my phone, but this is from when I was 19 weeks with Sophie. Does sound like a train! So I don't think it means anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HvWGuyiC8U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you so much for sharing your video minties!
It seems this heartbeat thing is no more accurate than any of the other gender-guessing methods then ;) x

I think a heart is a heart and at this stage, it doesn't care if it's attached to a vagina or penis, haha!

Are you hoping for a girl? What do your instincts tell you? My pregnancies were both exactly the same, sysmptoms and all, so it can be hard to tell.

I was in the hospital a lot and one night when I was on the monitor one of the midwives said if sounded like galloping horses. So she said it was a girl and she was right 90% of the time. We had a boy :)
With both my son and daughter the Chinese gender predictor was right though ;)
Good luck with your scan. Let us know what it was x

To me, they both sounded like galloping horses. :shrug: I'm pretty sure their heartrates were about the same (ranging from 135-155ish depending on if they were sleeping or dancing in there :winkwink: )

EDIT: yep, the Chinese predictor was right both times

Well, my instincts didnt tell me anything, the Chinese gender prediction said boy, and the scan (even though baba was in a very awkward position and wouldnt move, so scanner said she couldn't be certain...) suggested another girl! :)
I am happy either way! I just wanted to hear that baby was normal. A work friend just had her baby stillborn, but she found out at her 20week scan that her ds wouldn't survive, so I've been freaking out since her scan that I would get bad news. Anyway, I'm rambling, but genuinely don't care what gender I have, just so grateful for baby's good health :thumbup:
Thanks for all your responses ladies! :flower:
See you back here in baby club in march! :crib:
X

:Congrats on another girl! ( sisters are the best!) haha I biased I guess....
Anyhow, how do the galloping horses and steam train sound diff with the babies heartbeat?? I think it all sounds the same to me??:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->