Braxton hicks at 17 weeks??

maryanne1987

Reaction score
So yesterday evening and today ive been having tightenings in my back and stomach on and off. Painless but definatley there. Since I went into labour with my angel daughter at 19 weeks I phoned my midwife and she said they sound like braxton hicks. I'm only 17 weeks though? Is that possible? I've had them before, especially in my last pregnancy but they didn't start till I was gone 25 weeks. I'm trying not to panic as the midwide didn't seem concerned. Anyone get them this early?

I'm Getting them now at 18w. I think I was getting them last week also but when I felt it I was driving so I wasn't too sure.

Normal. They start as early as 6 weeks, but when a woman feels them depends of different factors. I definitely feel irregular ones at 18 weeks and have had the occasional one for weeks now with my second. My first I didn't really notice until 20 weeks and I didn't know what they were.

If you are worried I would still go get checked out considering your history it would be worth it. When I went into premature labor with my daughter they told me I was having braxton-hicks when in actuality I was having contractions. Do they have you on any progesterone or plans to help the baby stay in?

If you are worried I would still go get checked out considering your history it would be worth it. When I went into premature labor with my daughter they told me I was having braxton-hicks when in actuality I was having contractions. Do they have you on any progesterone or plans to help the baby stay in?

My daughter was lost due to a mixture of things, me contracting rubella, having a blood clotting disorder and a weak cervix. So I'm on daily injections to control my blood and a stitch in my cervix plus im fully protected agaisnt rubella now so hopefully it means my little man is safe. I start seeing my consultant every two weeks from next week. I just felt like the midwife didn't take much notice of me. I know she's probably right and it is braxton hicks but I just feel she shouldn't have fobbed me off the way she did with my history. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and hormonal.

Mine started at 18 weeks but I inderstand your worry x

My daughter was lost due to a mixture of things, me contracting rubella, having a blood clotting disorder and a weak cervix. So I'm on daily injections to control my blood and a stitch in my cervix plus im fully protected agaisnt rubella now so hopefully it means my little man is safe. I start seeing my consultant every two weeks from next week. I just felt like the midwife didn't take much notice of me. I know she's probably right and it is braxton hicks but I just feel she shouldn't have fobbed me off the way she did with my history. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and hormonal.

You are absolutely right in the way you are feeling. Since you are high-risk she should never have Shrugged it off as Braxton Hicks. Although that could be what they are, it's always better to make sure. I know if I told my doctors I was having what felt like Braxton Hicks or contractions they would have me come in imediately. I am also high risk and have to get weekly injections. They are also talking about putting in a cerclage because my cervix has already shortened so chances are I have an incompetent cervix. That would explain why my first baby was premature.

Thank you kiwiberry. They have stopped now but when DH came home and I told him I was furious at the midwife. He's said if they start again he's taking me to the hospital to be checked over no matter what the midwife says.

Sounds like you have a great team of doctors looking after you! As much as im grateful for our national health service in the UK it can be an absolute joke at times.

my older 2 I started feeling them at 17 weeks, and this time at 15. Really strong ones at 15 too. I was surprised. Now I can feel them walking around sometimes not even just laying down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->