break the bank prams- showboating or necessity?

Zobohook

Reaction score
Just wondering if these prams/travel systems at the higher end of the price bracket are actually better or just a fashion accessory? Ive owned a budget ts for ds, but recieved a freebie (expensive) ts from cossato, and to be honest, apart from the carrycot which was useful.. I couldnt have justified spending that sum if it hadnt of been free! Bit like rolling- arm-candy!
What do you ladies think?

My pushchair cost just over £700 including the carrycot. I thought it looked much comfier than some of the cheaper prams I looked at, and it also looked more robust, whereas some of the others looked like they'd fall apart after a little while, and then I'd end up forking out more.
I think it is partially due to looks, because I wouldn't like to walk around with an "ugly" pushchair, but at the same time, things like good suspension, built in sun nets, showerproof material, big comfy seat etc are things that I'd rather pay a bit more money for than not have.

to me, its like owning a coach bag when one from walmart works just as well and looks just as nice. but that is just my opinion. probably gonna tick a lot of ladies off but ah well.

I adore my bugaboo chameleon it was worth every singe penny i paid for it, its so easy to use, prcatical, comfy for little one and i cannot fault it it any way x x

Mine cost £400 and thats because it was the pram i wanted. If it cost £50 i would have still got it.

I can justify it because apart from having a lighter one that lives at my mams house for when she looks after her when i go back to work its the only pram i will need.

We've got an iCandy Peach which is one of the more expensive prams. To me it's been worth the money - it's really user friendly, very comfy for lo and to push, well designed, great suspension and looks great. I've seen some disgusting huge prams which look really awkward so was ours worth the money _ I would say yes! But I can always pick the most expensive item out of everything I see! Plus my mom and dad bought the pram so it was a lovely gift.

mine was well over £750 full price (even minus carseat) but bought it in the Jan sales 6mths before LO arrived at £380.
that was enough for me.
no way would I spend £700 plus on a travel system even though we can afford it.
I would sooner save the extra and buy myself a new Karen Millen handbag to add to the collection....hahahaha

Im the same hunni, i personally don't quite understand spending at the top end of the market either (obviously if i had lots of money i probably would) lol.
But i brought the Huack Malibu travel system and found it for £220.
That was for the Chassis, bassinet thingy (not sure what its called) the pram (sit up bit), carseat and changing bag!!! lol
I LOVE it xxx

Ive got two. when i was pregnant i got a norton jaquard pram it has 3 attatchments and i just fell in love with it it cots £500. When alfie was born he hated it, it was too big to get on the bus and in the car ect. I then bought a britax b smart 3 wheeler and i love it i think it was £200 and its so much better and its really pretty i got it in aurora green. The other one is grey with silver swirls on it and it does look very "showboaty" and thats why i liked it lol but like i said in the end it just wasnt practical at all. Just to add though i think aslong as your paying for it out of your own pocket or its a gift then it doesnt really matter if its just showboating or a neccessity.

<3

I have a bit of a pram obsession :blush:

I wouldn't spend £750+ on a pram unless I had the money to :rofl:

But the number of prams Ive actually went through probably totals the same as the high end more expensive "designer" prams.

I don't care either way. :shrug: lol

Mine cost just over £350 and was bought by my in-laws, it was the one I really wanted and would have bought it myself if it hadn't of been a gift even though I do consider that to be quite expensive. It goes from birth to 4 so I think it's a good investment (although to be fair I know I'll be bored of it by then so will want to change it).

It's different for everybody I guess. I know or have heard of people bragging about the cost or make of their prams at every given oppurtunity, and you can tell for them it was mainly a fashion thing? Some people however who buy really expensive prams consider all the other factors to be more important than label/cost i.e. comfort for baby, ease of use etc x

I think maybe the more expensive prams dont match my lifestyle? I use the buses, trams ect so bulky, wide ones are a no no! If I was loaded I would consider a mid range one with fab reviews, but £700, woah!
I have to say theres some odd designs out there! One lady I thought was pushing an office chair! Lol

TBH All these baby product companies must be laughing all the way to the bank! They know that all moms will naturally want whats best for their children and boy do they milk that! I respect people's individual choices to buy what they like but I find it so hilarious just how many things LOs "need" these days lol! As if a baby in a £700 pram is happier than a baby in £50 one. Cunning manufacturers they are!

Mine was worth every penny... cannot fault it in any way, and we use it daily. I wanted something sturdy, well made that had good reviews, was compact, and versatile... mine does all of that.

Cheaper prams to me look plasticy and badly made.

I wouldnt buy a plastic car for myself, and i wouldnt put harrison in a plastic pram!

my friend has one of the stokke ones which is a bit of a strange creature...
she let me take LO out for a walk when I was still pregnant and I politely asked if I could use the system I bought for my LO because I felt like a twit.
bird table sprang to mind and for a rather non-trendy place that we live I honestly couldn't cope with the looks!
I am sure in some places people wouldn't bat an eyelid but I felt like a plank.

When we had Evie we bought one for £450 and it was really well built, had some great gadgets and was lovely to push but it was far too big! Our main concern when buying for Alfie was getting something more compact so we bought one including the carseat for £170. Its not as robust as the other but its still sturdy and it doesn't have gadgets like thermometer, clock and cup holder but we don't really need them tbh. I don't know if its showing off it wasn't when we bought Evie's, we just got it because we liked it.

I spent a lot on my travel system, but I bought it because I liked it. TBH it wouldn't have mattered what it cost, I would have bought it if it was £500 cheaper or £500 more expensive.

I bought it based on looks and practicalities, not what it cost.

Lol @ birdtable!! I know the one you mean! Very odd! (ouchwithno.2)

This is always something I have been confused about. Don't get me wrong, I like nice things and to look nice, and wouldn't want an ugly or impractical or poor quality pram, but I never saw the reason why my friends Bugaboo was worth £300 more than my Mothercare Mychoice. Yes, the Bugaboo had a few features that were better but not £300 worth?? However, money is not an issue for my friend so maybe she just looked at the more expensive ones because she assumed they were the best, I don't know.

my pram retails at £460, i can justify the price as it is the exact type of pram i needed as in parent and forward facing, suitable from birth, lie flat etc, i had a travelsystem before that cost me £240 and it was rubbish

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->