Breaking the Bottle Habit

Hollynesss

Mommy!
Reaction score
Please no harsh judgement here....

My daughter will be 2 in ten days. We tried so many times to get her off the bottle. We tried countless types of cups, and even just replaced the nipple with a sippy-style one, but she will not drink milk out of anything but a bottle. We have successfully managed to cut it down to just a bedtime bottle, but now we’ve run into the issue that she will not go to sleep for the night without it (I brush her teeth after she finishes the bottle). We didn’t make a huge effort to stop this since she does need some milk, and this was the only way she is getting it (please no debates or advice over the necessity of dairy).

She’ll drink water out of any type of cup, just not milk. She so strongly associates milk with the bottle. Looking for any tips, tricks, or advice to stop the bedtime bottle and get her to drink milk out of a different container. Thank you!!

my daughter was so attached to her bottle (for milk, water and juice) untIl she was 2 and a half. I got hell from everyone but I let her have it until she was ready to give it up, same with her dummy. When she was able to understand I took it away and gave her a big cup and she took it fine, before that she cried and would drink or go to sleep so wasn't worth the fight. my son on the other hand gave his up at 18 months and wasn't bothered. personally if she's happy with the bottle I'd leave her a little longer then try again soon x

My son was also using a bottle at bed time until just a little after 2. I eventually just gave him a sippy cup and threw the bottles out. I figured he's drink it or not. By that point his diet was good enough without the milk. He used the sippy until 3 or maybe a little after. Now he takes a water bottle to bed. He still likes the comfort of having something.

Sometimes when kids are attached just getting rid of it helps. But it could be a harsh transition for a few days. If he can use a straw try a cup with a lid and straw? Maybe the ease of getting it out will help.

Thank you both for the input, I really appreciate it. Our intial thought was “what’s the harm?” But her pediatrician gave us a hard time about it. We always just kind of said that she’d give it up when she’s ready. I did try switching to water in her bottle thinking it was just an attachment to the bottle rather than the milk, but she wanted nothing to do with it 🤷🏼*♀️

What would happen if you just got rid of the bottles?

She knows how to use a cup and does so for her other forms of liquid. Sure she might refuse to drink any milk for a few days/week, but so long as she's getting plenty of food, it won't hurt her.

My youngest was about 15 months when we took the nighttime bottle away for good. Not quite as old as your little one but old enough to have recognized the pattern. She was cranky for a couple days, but that was the end of it.

I’d just go cold turkey. You can explain to her and it might be a few rough days but she can drink from other cups and she will get over it!

You have two options.

Yank it. Replace it with a sippy of water. We use the straw water bottle that flips up and down and the seal is great. She WILL get over it.

Let her keep it, remain dental conscious, and try again in a few months. Repeat until its gone. By 3 I would yank it regardless.

No matter what you choose, she will be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->