Breast feeding and weaning questions.

Logiebear

Mum to 4 darlings
Reaction score
Well I have started weaning Hannah with purees as she was early so I can't start the baby led weaning right now! The thing is I have never weaned and breast fed before so I have no clue what to do!

When do you give a sippy cup with water in?
Do you still bfeed at meal times? If so do you do it before or after you have given solids?
How often do you bfeed in the day?

I have so many questions and no clue about it all. Feel like nothing has changed and she is still acting starving and not sleeping! GRrr

Whenb I started weaning, I did it between feeds, so that he wouldn't be full or tired. I started giving a "meal" in the middle of the afternoon. Then when he'd got the hang of things, introduced breakfast, then the same again for evening meal. I only started offering a sippy cup recently as I was scared to not give him breast milk!!:dohh: He dropped his feeds of his own accord and now just feeds morning and night, sippy cup in between.

Hope this helps!!

We always give Poppy a cup with water at every meal and now I give her that in between meals too.

When I was first weaning her she often would not even sit in the high chair and entertain the idea of food till she'd had some milk first, like she was just too hungry to wait. Fortunately I used to be able to give her some b/milk and then feed her solids and she always ate a fair amount, so it's not like the milk was filling her up too much and stopping her eating her solids.

Eventually she dropped the mid morning and mid afternoon b'feeds, and she started to sleep through when she was on 3 meals a day. Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll all come together soon enough xx

We started on baby rice at breakfast after her morning breast feed. Gradually introduced a lunchtime meal of pureed veg and then and then baby rice for dinner. Now she usually has:

Morning Boob (7-8am)
Rice Breakfast 8.30-9ish
Mid Morning Boob 10.30 ish (normally this feed is a little one just to send her to sleep)
Pureed Veg Lunch at 12
Boob 2ish
Boob 5ish
Rice Dinner
Bedtime bottle 7pm

Its taken a while for me to notice a difference in the amount of feeds, but she's definately dropping some.

I give him a sippy to play with every meal, with a bit of water in it. Not too fussed if he drinks from it but he does now. I used to BF him before food so he wasnt hungry, but he cottoned on the the fact food fills you up too, so I give him dinner first, because I know he's a piggy and will drink his milk too. He has his nighttime boob about an hour after his dinner.

when i started weaning i gave milk after the meal. After a while prob about 7 months she wouldn't show much interest in milk feed, she'd latch suck a little come off and that would be it so i took this as my signal to drop that milk feed. After dropping lunch and dinner milk feeds i started offering a drink of water then.

Breast milk should still be the main source of food until about a year. It's best to offer solids after a milk feed as they won't get much nutrition from solids for a while but it will fill them up so they can miss out on vital nourishment if you offer solids on an empty stomach.

BF babies don't need water, breast feeding provides all the thirst-quenching they need until they are on 3 meals and dropping milk feeds (at about 1 year or a bit earlier with premies).

With both of mine I started offering finger foods mid afternoon between feeds and gradually moved to offering solids at every family meal but always after a breast feed. I've never done purées so can't offer much specific advice on that front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->