Breast feeding friendly diet.

Clucky as

Reaction score
hi i just want to find out some info before I give both to my beautiful baby.
Obviously Im not dieting yet but would like to get myself organized so when bubs gets here, I'm not still eating like bread is going out of fashion lol.
Bit of background my weight is at 194 pounds eek. :blush: it always sounds bigger in pounds. I'm from Australia and we do kgs. I've put on roughly 44 pounds. which iknow is a lot.

I've never had to diet ever. Always been semi active and what ever I ate kind of fell off by the morning. now I quit smoking before getting pregnant yay! but that let my sweet tooth even sweeter :haha:.
Bottom line: I need some advice on how to loose weight safely , not at light speed. Whilst breast feeding. I plan on getting back in to running as soon as I'm given the ok. But will walk baby as soon as my energy is back coz getting out is great for bubs too.
So is there anyone on this forum who is breast feeding whilst loosing weight( eating healthy) please don't read and run I've asked family and all they tell me is that it will fall off if I breast feed and I still can't eat certain foods. But give no advice on how to do it. Thanks in advance for your replys :flower:

I'm BFing and the weight certainly wasn't falling off for me, it could for you! Fingers crossed! I gained 24 kgs (nz here :p) and lost 11 or so after my baby was born with no effort. I quit smoking too and took up chocolate instead. Good job on giving up :thumbup:

I'm now doing the couch 2 5k running programme which is 3 runs a week and the 30 day shred, a workout dvd every day. I eat 3 low fat meals, oats are supposed to be good for milk supply and are low gi, so keep you feeling full longer :) tbh I think you just have to want it bad enough and you'll figure a way to get back to the "old you". It's hard work.

Try to make sure you don't eat too little as it could affect your milk supply, eat healthy food and exercise. Good luck with the birth :)

I'm BFing and the weight certainly wasn't falling off for me, it could for you! Fingers crossed! I gained 24 kgs (nz here :p) and lost 11 or so after my baby was born with no effort. I quit smoking too and took up chocolate instead. Good job on giving up :thumbup:

I'm now doing the couch 2 5k running programme which is 3 runs a week and the 30 day shred, a workout dvd every day. I eat 3 low fat meals, oats are supposed to be good for milk supply and are low gi, so keep you feeling full longer :) tbh I think you just have to want it bad enough and you'll figure a way to get back to the "old you". It's hard work.

Try to make sure you don't eat too little as it could affect your milk supply, eat healthy food and exercise. Good luck with the birth :)

thanks, quoting smoking is hard but so worth it. I think I suppose it's just a case of eating cleanly and healthily then? and exercise which I can't wait to get back to. I like the idea of a couch to 5 k. I started running just before I fell pregnant and I'd love to do a fun run in the future. :flower:

I gained about the same as you and I'm Bf. so far I've lost 10lbs its been 2 months. I want to zumba all this weight off but im not sure how to balance burning fat and keeping up calories to BF!

I don't know about other diets but I know that WW has an option for breastfeeding moms (gives you more points to account for the fact that you are breastfeeding)

I'm breastfeeding and my LO is almost 4 months old now. I gained a whopping 40lb during my pregnancy, almost all in the last 4 months although my starting weight was only 109lb.

I lost 15lb overnight after giving birth, then another 10lb within a couple of weeks but the rest is just stubbornly refusing to shift, along with a wobbly flabby bit of belly skin.

I've started doing an exercise DVD every day and I've always eaten healthily. I'm not eating less or changing my diet in any way (because I'm breastfeeding) but one thing I would strongly suggest is switching to healthier versions of things if you can.

For example, this is my long-term "diet":

• home-made everything instead of store-bought. In my case this includes home-made rice milk and home-made oat milk but not everyone has the patience to go that extreme. It's very satisfying making your own pizza, cookies, cakes etc and you can make them healthier than the store-bought stuff.
  • Whole grains and unrefined foods only (so I only eat wholegrain rice, pasta, bread (home-made with wholewheat flour) etc; unrefined sugar etc). Also whole grains are more filling so you automatically eat less, and feel fuller longer
  • Plenty of fruit and veg - more than you would normally think to eat
  • Lots of water - also helps prevent overeating by helping you feel full in between meals
  • no skipping meals
anyway, enough about me and my diet. Have you had your baby? How's it going?

I work out to a DVD four times a week, but my main focus is eating healthy with little to no sweets. I eat a normal amount of carbs and protein, but eat tons of raw fruits and veggies. (No dip or peanut butter) It's really healthy. I haven't weighed myself, too scared to. But I know I'm gaining muscle and my OH has noticed I'm losing. Anyway, focus on eating right and correct portions.

I shouldn't really read these threads... I put on 37 pounds while pregnant and I thought that was pretty reasonable... hardly "whopping".

Nine months on, nine months off, I reckon. :shrug:

I shouldn't really read these threads... I put on 37 pounds while pregnant and I thought that was pretty reasonable... hardly "whopping".

oops sorry, didn't mean it that way or to sound insensitive - it just seemed like a lot compared to what a lot of other people gained and especially since my baby was 5lb3oz...

37 lbs sounds reasonable to me! I gained about 60, it's all individual anyway. 5 months ln and I've got about another 16lbs to go. Agree with the 9 months on, 9 off :thumbup:

Hi all, i've just started to think about breastfeeding friendly dieting, LO is almost four weeks and i plan to start in a couple more weeks to try to get weigt off very slowly - probably mainly via exercise.

I put on 50 pounds while pregnant, and i've lost 32 already, so another 18 to go.

I am going to go on rosemary conely.

does anyone know wat calorie allowance you sould add for bf? isnt it 500? x

Yep, at least I know myfitnesspal lists BFing as -500 calories a day. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->