Breast feeding question for any moms

KcApple

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but it just popped into my head.
I plan on breast feeding and was thinking about buying a pump, which made me think that obviously you pump into bottles. So will the baby nurse from me and with a bottle or just one or the other?

This may be a dumb question but it just popped into my head.
I plan on breast feeding and was thinking about buying a pump, which made me think that obviously you pump into bottles. So will the baby nurse from me and with a bottle or just one or the other?

That's up to you . :winkwink:
I was breast feeding only from my breast . For me it seemed easier . The milk is ready any time , it's the best temperature and it is great bonding with the baby :thumbup:
If you wanna breastfed from the breast with combination of bottle ( for example when you are out with the baby ) , try not to introduce the bottle right away . Babies get use to plastic ( silicone ) easier and faster and than it is possible the baby won't have your breast .

The vast majority of babies will take both the bottle and the breast. But its advisable to wait until around 6 weeks before introducing a bottle, even of EBM. A bottle is much easier to suck and get milk out of compared with a breast and therefore baby can get lazy, or something called nipple confusion where they refuse the breast in favour of bottles. And some babies will completely refuse bottles if they are breastfed.

The vast majority of babies will take both the bottle and the breast. But its advisable to wait until around 6 weeks before introducing a bottle, even of EBM. A bottle is much easier to suck and get milk out of compared with a breast and therefore baby can get lazy, or something called nipple confusion where they refuse the breast in favour of bottles. And some babies will completely refuse bottles if they are breastfed.

That's what happened to my son :haha: refused bottle :haha:
I wanted to stop breast feeding at 10 weeks ( he was biting a lot ) and couldn't because he would not eat from the bottle :shrug:

I fed DD mainly from the breast apart from a few times when we drove to Scotland (5 hours) when she was 5 weeks old. Wanted to be able to take the edge off her hunger when the nearest service station was 20 miles away!
Anyway, other than that I fed from the breast and the odd time we tried a bottle she refused it. Made returning to work difficult, but she was 8 months by then and weaning onto solids. I did shifts to fit around her feeds and by the time I was up to longer shifts she was using a sippy cup and would take expressed milk from Daddy using a sippy.
With this baby I would like to mainly feed from the breast but want baby to take a few feeds a week from Daddy out of a bottle, just to make returning to work a little easier (if possible)! But if not we will cope. DD self weaned at 13 months and I was devastated. Hopefully this baby might feed for a bit longer.

My daughter refused bottles. I still pumped a little, she would drink from cups (with help) and I mixed it in her baby food at first.

I found it is almost impossible to feed from breast and from the bottle. My son just refused. Aso my milk would go sour after a day in a fridge. So we end up being super miserable and when I was gone my family had a hard time feeding my son. I used breast pump when I had to travel on business and needed to keep milk supply.

I don't understand, why would you want your baby to bottle-feed expressed breast milk if breastfeeding was an option? :shrug: Making a bottle is so annoying and I hate pumping. I only do it once a day and everything I pump goes into the freezer for after I go back to work, with the exception of if I go out and my husband has to give her a bottle....but that's only happened a couple times.

Breastfeeding from the breast is ten thousand times easier. ESPECIALLY if you're out and about, you don't want to have to mess with warming up a bottle, rinsing it out etc.

I don't understand, why would you want your baby to bottle-feed expressed breast milk if breastfeeding was an option? :shrug: Making a bottle is so annoying and I hate pumping. I only do it once a day and everything I pump goes into the freezer for after I go back to work, with the exception of if I go out and my husband has to give her a bottle....but that's only happened a couple times.

Breastfeeding from the breast is ten thousand times easier. ESPECIALLY if you're out and about, you don't want to have to mess with warming up a bottle, rinsing it out etc.

It sounds like she's just asking for information but maybe she has to go to work or school soon after baby.

It sounds like she's just asking for information but maybe she has to go to work or school soon after baby.

I was more responding to the commenters who suggested they used a bottle when they were out with their baby, and I wasn't sure why?

It's truly a matter of preference, whether you decide to EBF or to mix breast with bottles. It's whatever works for YOU and your LO. If you plan on returning to work after your maternity leave is up, bottle feeding really isn't an option...it'll probably be mandatory, as most women can't take breaks from their jobs to go nurse on demand and such.

Personally, bottle feeding isn't a hassle AT ALL. You thaw your frozen breastmilk, either in the bottle, or in a breastmilk storage container, and then add it to your bottle. You then warm the bottle, if that's how your baby prefers to take it. My baby was FINE taking cold milk. I had enough bottles where I just had to wash them once every two days, and that takes about 5 minutes. So, when people talk about the inconvenience of bottles, I guess I disagree, as it largely depends on what you consider inconvenient.

Now if you're staying home, and want to skip the bottles all together, and EBF, you can still purchase a pump. Pumps come in handy, particularly in the beginning. If you become engorged, a pump can provide a bit of relief (given that you don't overdo it, and further increase and create more oversupply issues). If you have a low supply, pumping between feedings can help increase your milk.

Check with your health insurance, as many providers will cover or partially cover a hospital-grade double electric pump, with a prescription from your doc. Saves major $$$!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->