Breast preference

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My baby seems to prefer my left breast. When I put her on the right one she nurses a little then fusses so much and refuses. I try to calm her down and try again and she fusses. If I put her on the left she starts to nurse immediately no fus or anything.

There is probably a difference in the flow but I don't really know what it is. Right now she's nursing from the left and the right one is leaking droplets after the initial let down (had just tried offering left before right and she still didn't want it).

Has this happened to anyone? Is the flow maybe too fast or too slow? Any tips? Can't have her only nurse from one side constantly.

If this makes a difference I currently have a cold and just haven't been getting as much food and fluids.

My LO favours the right... But doesn't seem massively keen on either of them! :(

Oh how come! Do you express and bottle feed?

I'm getting pains in my right breast now, eek. Hope I'm not getting plugged ducts. :(

My LO has always preferred the right over the left. The only way she will nurse on the left is if I have her in the rugby ball hold.

I've tried now she is bigger just to do the cross body one but she isn't having it.

Perhaps try a different hold that side to tempt her?

I agree with a pp, maybe try holding her in the football (rugby) hold on your right breast so that she is laying on the same side she would be laying on your left?

Oh how come! Do you express and bottle feed?

I'm getting pains in my right breast now, eek. Hope I'm not getting plugged ducts. :(

I'm trying to breast feed but most of the time he just falls asleep on there so I'm topping up with EBM to make sure he's full.

How odd! She went back to taking the right breast. I'll try the other hold if she fusses again.

Popples: I think my baby did sometimes fuss at feedings in the first 6 weeks especially at night (dunno why). I'm sure it'll get easier. How old is your LO?

How odd! She went back to taking the right breast. I'll try the other hold if she fusses again.

Popples: I think my baby did sometimes fuss at feedings in the first 6 weeks especially at night (dunno why). I'm sure it'll get easier. How old is your LO?

He's only 13 days x

Right breast preference here. He will only feed from left in bed!!! I end up pumping left 3 hourly all day for my stash but only get 1oz each time so thats prob why he doesn't like it. Slower and produces less

Maybe my right is slower as well. My mom says that I've probably been favoring left and avoiding right unknowingly because right used to hurt a lot. She may be right!

It's normal for breasts to fluctuate in their output, and for one to consistently produce more. Keep offering both breasts, I think you are doing exactly what I would do and you got some great advice above :)

My little girl preferred the left when she was little... Doc said babies usually like to turn their heads to the right side so that's why. Unfortunately he didn't tell me not to continuously hold her in a way so that she's always looking to the right (the only way I could get her to take my right breast!) and she developed a stiff neck and has had a bit of a delay in holding her head steady because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->