Breastfed 10 month old losing weight!

kiwii

Reaction score
My 10 month old son has been losing weight rather than gaining. We are really worried even though our doctor told us not to because he's active and happy with no other history of health concerns. So I have a couple of questions and then I will give the story in case anyone wants to read on.

Has anyone else dealt with their breastfed babies losing weight even with being content after they eat and your milk production appears to be fine?

What is your babies eating schedule like if they are on solid foods? Around 10 months what were/are you feeding your babies and do you feed them around the same time that they are breastfed that day or do you breastfeed and then wait an hour or so before feeding them food?

In his first 6 months, he did great. He was eating every 2-3 hours and gaining as he should have been. There was one period where he gained 20oz in 8 days! He's always been on the small side though, weighing 6lbs 4oz at birth. Between his 3-6 month appointments, he didn't get any taller. I thought the nurse was just stupid and didn't know how to measure because I swear he grew lol. But, between his 6-9 month appointments he grew and had no weight gain. At this point they assumed his growth curve was just changing and he would be more petite like me. They decided to do a 10 month height and weight check just to make sure he was doing alright. So, I'm increasing his foods and introducing a little bit of formula on days that I work and can't pump enough milk for him. I think he's doing great and then yesterday came... at his appointment we were told that he lost 8oz and is down to 15lbs 12oz. He's gone from being in the 3rd percentile to well below that. Now, they're having us collect a urine sample, take a blood test, and schedule a head ultrasound as well as sweat test at the Children's hospital. I'm so upset putting my baby through all of this. I know I'm doing the best I can but I feel like a total failure when my milk isn't enough for him anymore even with 3 meals a day and snacks in between. I've also been concerned that he's still not crawling or cruising yet. He rolls like a champ and tries to pull himself up here and there onto low surfaces but no interest in crawling or cruising. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to see how things turned out for your little one!

I have issues with low supply so I can't really help as I'm in a different boat. But I just wanted to say that I hope everything turned out to be OK. I know how it is to worry. My son hasn't lost that much, but he doesn't gain either. I feed him high fat yogurt along with other high fat/calorie foods and try to breastfeed all the time.

Good luck. I will have my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious.

Thank you! I hope the same for you guys. It's so stressful. We have been supplementing with formula during some feedings and it seems like he definitely wasn't getting enough milk. I never imagined that was it because my supply seemed ok enough and he was content after feedings but his number of wet diapers did decrease once we introduced solids. He also has been constipated but not since adding the formula. I'm looking to find new ways of increasing my supply anyway to see if I can cancel out the formula once he gains his weight back.

I take moringa for supply. I have tried lots of others and it works best. It works well when combined with fennel too. I take more than the recommended dose. I take about 5,400 mg/day or more depending on brand. That is 3 600mg capsules 3x day. I like It's Moringa from iHerb.com the best. I also take domperidone because my supply sucks, but I only take 3 pills a day instead of the 16 a day I was taking before starting moringa.

Hi there. My oldest boy was ff so it wasn't as if I didn't know how much milk he was getting but he lost weight a couple of times when he went to be weighed. I was freaked out but talked with my health visitor who asked me about the meals I'd been giving him. I was giving him the healthiest food I could, lots of vegetables and lean meats etc but as the hv pointed out when you are very small and only eat small amounts it is very important to make sure that the food is calorific. So I started mixing his veggies in a creammy cheese sauce and using proper butter to mash his potatoes in etc. I replaced some of his fruit pot snacks with full fat yogurts etc all in the name of adding calories to his food but keeping it varied and healthy and low in salt and sugar. This worked a treat for us. And this time round I've done the same and so far have not had any problems. Good luck with your lo xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->