Breastfeeding 4 month old - How often and how long for?

ThunderPearls

Mum to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
Just curious how often your 4mo feeds and how long they actively breastfeed for each time?

Since starting to breastfeed again my LO has gone from feeding for 15-20 minutes each time to only around 10 minutes each time but hasn't increased frequency. He still gets some bottles when he refuses to breastfeed maybe 1-3 times a day between 2-4oz each and breastfeeds around 6-9 times a day.

Is this enough food? Do his shorter feeds mean he is just feeding more efficiantly? I know he isnt running out of milk at the end of a feed as I don't need to top him up and the nippleshield is full of milk and I can still express... So is he just snacking /grazing during the day rather than having full feeds? Is this normal?

Whats the 'norm' for 4mo?

As he gets better at breast feeding and he gets stronger i've heard its very common for babies to shorten their feeds. Mia maybe nurses 5 minutes a side and is good for a few hours.

Sadie sometimes takes 5 minutes and sometimes 15, depending how "into it" she is... She used to take forever, so I believe they get a lot better at getting out the milk.

My DD only feeds between 5-10 minutes at a time and eats every 2/3 hours with one stretch of 4/5 hours at night

the HV says this is fine so long as she continues to increase in weight, she is just getting very efficient :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->