Breastfeeding a 2 year old

This is something that has been on my mind a lot recently.

I think the reason why people find it weird to breastfeed a toddler is because they are just new to the idea and don't know better.

I was one of those people before, but it was really for lack of knowledge. Now I have a 4month old and a lot of people are already expecting me to be stopping. I thought I would continue for one year but now I think I would like to breastfeed her till she's about 3 as I don't want to give her cows milk or formula.

It really just is the natural thing to do and I suppose if you're not in the position yourself you don't understand it. So many people choose not to breastfeed in the first place so to be breastfeeding a toddler is a vary strange idea for them.

For those of you who are breastfeeding a toddler how did your entourage react? I am a little worried of how my family (mom, sister) will react. Did you explain your decision to them? Or is anyone hiding it from family? I spoke to my husband about it yesterday and he seemed to be accepting even though he has previously judged women who breastfeed older children on TV.

None of my family care that I am still breastfeeding my 3 year old and 5 month old, as my own mother breastfed three kids past two years - my brother until he was 4.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anybody else's opinion on the matter is - I'm not about to let down my older child, who still has a psychological need to breastfeed at this point, in order to appease someone else's feelings or validate their notions about what I should be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->