Breastfeeding and body odor?

diane60f

Reaction score
Is it just me or have u ladies noticed a change in the way you smell? I've never had body odor... Well when I first went thru puberty at 11. I used deodorant then eventually quitnuaing it bc I wouldn't smell. 3 months after giving birth I smell gross! Wth?! Lo. I will shower everyday and still!!! 10 mins later my pits smell like onions!

Here's the killer, my dh noticed it yesterday and I'm soooo embarrassed bc one of the things he loves about me is that I always smell good!

Anyone!?

I posted something exactly like this a while back!! YES!!!! I to have noticed this and like you my husband also noticed it and it was beyond embarrassing. No deoderant seems to work completley at the moment for me. I too have never ever had body odor but when nursing my daughter and now my son I smell sooo nasty!! Someone mentioned on my thread that it had to do with the milk being produced from the same glands as sweat is produced from.

Same! Grrrrr lol I told my OH though :p I'm a geek! :blush:

When happyladybugg posted a while back my LO had just been born and I hadn't noticed anything but I have now. At first I thought it was the deoderant but I've tried some different ones and its not, its me! I just have to have an extra armpit wash during the day :haha:

A couple of weeks ago my 2 and a half year old daughter said 'you stink don't you mummy', I must have been having a bad day! :blush:

When happyladybugg posted a while back my LO had just been born and I hadn't noticed anything but I have now. At first I thought it was the deoderant but I've tried some different ones and its not, its me! I just have to have an extra armpit wash during the day :haha:

A couple of weeks ago my 2 and a half year old daughter said 'you stink don't you mummy', I must have been having a bad day! :blush:

lol I once told my daughter my armpits stunk and she asked if she could smell them so I let her have a whiff and she about passed out :haha: I also do a second armpit washing usually at night before bed!!

Yep! But it does get better, it's very common but apprently when our hormones calm down so does the smell, it's supposed to be around the 6 month mark and i have noticed for the last couple of weeks that i dont smell any more! Yay! Lol. Shamefully my sisters noticed too, luckily i don't have a OH to worry about!

But it does get better, so don't worry! :)

Yep, I got this too! Not good.

At first when I had her, for the first 2 or so weeks I was sweating sooooo much more, but didn't notice a smell. Then I started to smell BO all the time when I was doing the last feed at night! :nope:

I don't seem to smell it now, which instead of being pleased about it I constantly wonder if I've just got used to it and everyone else is saying 'god she smells!!' :blush::haha:

I actually felt like my deoderant was making me sweat more, don't know if that's possible, but I felt much more uncomfortable when I was using it so I stopped and that's when I stopped sweating so much, and the smell went away shortly afterwards :shrug:
I only use my deoderant every couple of days now!

yep i get it too its awful! its getting a bit better now round about the same time all your hair starts falling out :rofl:

yep i get it too its awful! its getting a bit better now round about the same time all your hair starts falling out :rofl:

:haha: I just cleared my shower drain of the biggest hairball I've ever seen today!

i keep finding hair everyware! its awful in the kids mouth in the dinner in bed in the shower i have a nice little knot of it around the bobbel iv had in today OH says "you need to go to the drs" i said...."why so he can give me a hair net?!" dont think he remembers its normal! :dohh:

Hey guys, i did after i had LO until he was about 3-4months, and come to think about it i stopped breastfeeding about then and it went!
Never had it before and not since!

Thanks girls! Oh joy!! Can't wait till my
hair falls out to quit smelling like a man!

Omg! Can't help with the odour but notice your lo has situs inversus, I do too! My heart is in the right place but everything from the diaphragm down is in the other side. Never even heard of any one else with it. Pm me if you want to know anything. Xxxx

yep
me too.. i find that when i bf my armpits get itchy like i'm about to start sweating. i definetely sweat more now.:blush: it is a bit embarrassing but hey if one's been able bare ones va jay jay to a perfect stranger a little sweat shouldnt be a big deal right??

I have good news for all you smelly breastfeeders out there (lol) - this includes me!
Your skin is the largest organ your body has, and the largest organ of elimination. (Others being your liver, kidneys, bowel and lungs). Our bodies are so intelligently designed that we eliminate a vast array of toxins from our pores when we sweat. Particularly near our lymph glands under the arms.

Numerous studies have shown that toxic elements that we consume (ie pesticides and heavy metals in food, water and personal care products) end up passing through into our breastmilk. So in order to purify and reduce the amount of toxicity in our breastmilk, our body naturally speeds up this toxin elimination process, by making us sweat more profusely- causing the sudden appearance of unpleasant body odour. This is one of the reasons that breastfeeding has been found to reduce the risk of breast cancer so dramatically; because with each baby that is birthed and breastfed, the woman's body will go through this natural detoxification process, thus reducing the amount of toxicity that her sensitive breast tissue may be exposed to in future.

What you must never do when breastfeeding is use an anti-perspirant, which will block your body's ability to undergo this process efficiently, not to mention expose your body and baby to a range of very toxic chemicals. What you can do however, is wash frequently with an organic or chemical-free soap and use a natural or organic deodorant which will assist in masking the odour, without blocking your pores and preventing detoxification. MiEssence does a good natural deodorant - the most effective I have found so far.

The good news is that the body odour will decrease with time, as you continue to breastfeed. The body odour is likely to be worse if you have been using chemical (ie mainstream) deodorants or antiperspirants for a long time. Hopefully you are able to put up with it long enough to witness the body odour diminish before you cease breastfeeding. Then you know that your body has undergone a thorough cleansing! Once you cease breastfeeding, whatever you do - do not resume using the chemical deodorants - source a good natural one and stick with it. This will ensure you not only smell less if you breastfeed in future, but you will significantly reduce your chances of having breast cancer.

This is the reason saunas are recommended and utilised at detox clinics/ beauty salons etc. Lower rates of cancer also exist in countries where there is humidity all year round, and thus people are able to sweat toxins out frequently. Bikram yoga is another example that emphasises this principle.

Very interesting!
I too had noticed I was smelly... but now it's getting better my hair is falling out :haha:
x

I use aromaco deodorant from lush. It's the only deo I found that actually stops me stinking :haha: Worth a try IMO :)

Roll-ons are working well for me but as I said in my fenugreek topic, I actually smell like a stock cube at the moment. Urgh!

That's so interesting! Explains the awful smell.
I've been using new deodrant from Lush called 'The Guv'ner' it's really good, I love natural deodrants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->