Breastfeeding and colonoscopy

Laeyla

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

So, my daughter has been exclusively breastfed since she was born (almost 3 months ago). I was at the Doctors today, and wasn't expecting it so soon but I need to have a scope done on March 30. They think I have piles and will be injecting them to shrink them (which according to google is called sclerotherapy). I have to go on a liquid only diet for 48 hours before the surgery, in addition to picking up something from the pharmacy that will help empty my bowel. I was told that this wouldn't have any affect on BFing but now I am worried about post-op. According to google (ya, I know...don't believe everything you read haha), sclerotherapy and BFing = no no.
The DR didn't mention anything but I'm wondering if I should just start to switch her .... better to be safe than sorry type of thing.
I was only planning on BFing her for a couple more months, so am not opposed to switching her....but now that it's so close I guess I am kinda, I dunno...thinking I am going to miss it! :(

Has anyone had this done and was told it would be okay/not okay to nurse afterwards? I've read you could pump and dump for 48 hours but if I am being completely honest (don't hate me) that seems like a lot of work, especially post-op and being kept busy by the rest of the family.

Advice? TIA

I have to be completely honest and say that I don't know anything specifically about BF and colonoscopies. However, if you have to be on a liquid diet before can you drink things like protein shakes to keep your caloric intake up? That way you will continue to produce enough milk? Yes, pumping and dumping would be a pain. However, I felt like all of BF was a huge pain (I continued for my daughter and out of guilt, so no judgement here… I wish I had enough willpower to say "I hate this, I quit."). So the question is, is the hassle worth it? If not that's totally fine too, it's up to you either way! Good luck with everything!

Not the same...but I had a hysterectomy and had to pump and dump for 24 hours after cause of the anesthesia. It was so sad to see all that go to waste...but was safer for my baby girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->