Breastfeeding and formula

winterbabies3

Wife, Mother & Expecting
Reaction score
When you breastfeed and want to supplement with formula, what type of formula do you use? Just regular, or is that going to mess with his belly?

We didn’t use formula until 7 months but I just used the ‘normal’ formula and she was ok. Comfort milk is designed for babies with tummy problems like reflux so if all is well normal first milk should be fine

Thanks! I see so many breastfeeding supplement formulas and was wondering if you have to use it

While breastfeeding you don’t have to supplement if you don’t want to. If you choose to exclusively breastfeed that’s fine, if you choose to supplement that’s fine too. Just choose what your happy with :).
With my eldest I breastfed for 2 years. I did try when he was 1 to supplement some formula but he hated the taste. To this day any vanilla taste he doesn’t like.
With DS2 I’m currently breastfeeding for 9 months. I’ve added formula to his rice cereal and he doesn’t seem to mind it.

Thanks! I see so many breastfeeding supplement formulas and was wondering if you have to use it

Nope! It's just a way for formula companies to make more money out of breastfeeding mums.

When I was supplementing I just used premixed liquid because I knew I was only going to be using a very small amount and knew nothing about mixing formula powder safely, cooling it down etc. so it was worth the extra cost for less hassle.

I didn’t realise they existed, there are a lot of laws and regulations to do with the sale and promotion of formula here. They’re not allowed to do anything which may be interpreted as discouraging women from breastfeeding for the first 6 months. (They find ways around it though by making follow on and toddler milk as well) Apparently we have one of the worst breastfeeding rates in the world!

Good to know and makes sense. I exclusively fed my last for 2 yrs and just can't again. I was miserable

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->