Breastfeeding and PPD

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
Hi ladies! I'm hoping someone may have some advice for me. I want to breastfeed my son when he's born in September, but I'm really nervous about it. I have three older children - my oldest was FF, my second was breastfed for 3 months, and my youngest was breastfed for about 3 weeks. The reason I quit breastfeeding the younger two was because I ended up with postpartum depression and the hormones and demands that came with breastfeeding weren't helping.

I want to try breastfeeding again, but I'm scared. I have a fairly high risk of PPD to begin with and am scared to go through it again. I know breastfeeding previously played a part in it, but is it possible that since I'm in a much better situation now (in terms of relationship/support, finances, etc.) that it might not be so bad? Is there anything else I could do that would help prevent me from getting PPD and allow me to breastfeed? I guess I'm looking for tips to help make this attempt at breastfeeding more successful than my previous attempts.

Sorry if this seems rambly. I don't really have anywhere else to turn and I really want to give it a good try. Thanks in advance :flower:

Good for you for wanting to breastfeed! It can be really demanding, personally I have known is breastfeeding and it seems that no matter how you feed your baby, the first six to eight weeks are the hardest.

Knowing that you may have a predisposition to feeling sadness/anxiety for extended lengths of time is an advantage. It means you know what to prepare for in a sense. Have you considered asking about a HV coming once or twice a week to talk and see how things are doing? They could help reassure you of what is and isn't typical for babes to do. If that's not an option, do you think you could establish a routine to help get a little structure back into your life after the baby arrives? Like, go for a walk with the kiddos once a day, make an effort to shower and brush your teeth every day, wrangle as many people as possible for help with chores around the house while you bond with baby, attend La Leche League meetings for support etc.

PPD is statistically higher in women with little support, are of lower or unstable financial background, younger in age, lower in education etc. Not saying this is you but those are statistics. So if you are in a better situation this time around than previous attempts I would guess that you might not feel that way this time around. I think support, support, support is the biggest thing. All you should be worrying about the first four weeks is holding that baby skin to skin breastfeeding :thumbup:

I think it depends on why breastfeeding played into your PPD with previous babies. My first was a horrible nurser, I had cracked and painful nipples for the first 6 months. Yes, months. I finally got that under control, and although she was an awful nurser in the beginning, she eventually leveled out after 6 months, and I ended up bf'ing her for 15 months.

My 2nd, who is almost 3 months old, is such a better nurser! I didn't have ANY issues with cracked, painful nipples this time. It's just been such a better experience. I'm also so much more confident in my abilities as a mother, having done this before, so I think that helps too.

If previous troubles were a cause, there's always a chance this baby will be better, and it will just work out better. So, in that respect, it's a great idea to at least try, and if it doesn't work out, you find what does work for you.

Have you looked into placenta encapsulation? It is supposed to be really good for helping prevent or lessen PPD, baby blues, etc.

No matter what happens, it sounds like you want the best for your baby, which includes making sure you are happy too, so no matter what you choose to do, he will be just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->