Breastfeeding causing skin problems...

Ivory Doll

Reaction score
My lg is almost 6 weeks old and for the past 3 weeks she has had so many skin issues from acne to severe dryness and now cradle cap in her hair and eyebrows.

Is there anything I'm eating that's causing this?
Yeast in food perhaps? I eat a lot of bread :blush:
I know she healthy and I'm grateful but her whole head is red and flaky :(
I've nobody to turn to as nobody I know Breastfeeds and my HV won't ring me back.
My doctor gave me nappy rash cream!!!!!

All sounds completely normal I'm afraid. Acne is really common, my little man had it really badly until he was about 2 months and he still has really dry skin. Cradle cap is just one of those things, it's unsightly but it will clear up on its own.

Try to get some aqueous cream from the doctors for the dryness but personally I'd leave the cradle cap to clear on its own, just try not to pik it!xx

Sounds normal. Don't bath her too often if she has dry skin. My LO still gets a bit of cradle cap from time to time and she is 2yrs.

I use coconut oil for cradle cap, it works wonders!

My LO had bad cradle cap on his eyebrows/face and baby acne. I started putting coconut oil on his face after his nightly bath. Baby acne was gone the next day and cradle cap went away after a few days. I put coconut oil on everything virgin organic only.

My lo has it too. Honestly, putting breastmilk on her acne made it go away almost immediately. She just got cradle cap a few days ago and I've been putting breastmilk on that too and it has def helped!

I used dentinox on her cradle cap and oilatum on her dry skin and it all has cleared up nearly! I swore I would go down the rubbing breast milk and only olive oil route but the products worked so I'm happy with that.

It's nothing to do with BF I have seen some babies only get this problem once they start being given formula. I have heard anecdotally that if breastfeeding taking a moderate biotin supplement (it's one of the b vitamins) can help xx

Thank you! I guess I'm just listening to what other people are telling me too much. I'll try that supplement, can't do any harm :)

I think it's normal. My LO had acne and mild cradle cap for weeks, or maybe even the first few months. He also had some redness on his bottom for a while. I changed him to sensitive wipes and sensitive diapers and changed his soap (to California Baby Super Sensitive) and it all just disappeared. My mom suggested I use a little scrub brush on his cradle cap so I did that for a while until it went away. I'm not sure if that's recommended or not but it seemed to work. It's probably not the breastfeeding. Or it may not be anything at all, baby skin just takes a while to adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->