Breastfeeding Doll on sale...

Kimboowee

Complete
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wo...ton-breast-feeding-doll-comes-nipple-bra.html

What do people think about it?

One way I thin k its good for young girls to know that when the time comes its completely natural to bf, but then I think im not to sure I would buy one for my child or not

I think this was posted about before and it caused a bit of a debate...I'll see if I can find the thread for you in a sec :)

I'm the same as you,I can see why it is a good idea but not 100% sure I would actually buy one for Ophelia :shrug:
xx

https://www.babyandbump.com/general-chatter/170904-first-ever-breastfeeding-doll-do-you-think.html
xx

That has really made me feel uneasy. I really dont like that at all ... :shock:

I'm a bit split too... On the one hand, especially reading the comments on the article, I can see how it's...normal? I can't think of a good word - but like a lot of them were saying, young kids 'breastfeed' their dolls/teddies anyway. To me it's a bit creepy and I'd rather get my kids a doll that they can choose to 'breastfeed' instead of having it's purpose as that... I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, how is it sexualising children any more than having a doll in the first place is? I too want to encourage my children to see breastfeeding as a natural thing, but....it's....just...a bit bizarre! :D

x

I don't understand why you have to buy a breastfeeding bra for the doll. Surely if they were trying to promote it as being natural they wouldn't even need for the bra. Breatfeeding is a boob and a baby. I have seen kids just lift up their shirt and a place the baby there. I have no problem with that but to promote that they need something other than that to breastfeed sends the wrong message.

i really dont like this doll, and children will bf dolls and teddies without needing a top to put on. Just like when they feed baby with a spoon or put a nappy on the doll *the ones that dont pee*.. children do what they want with there toys they dont need to have a BF'ing doll.

in away just seems like another you must BF not bottle feed thing :shrug:

The bra makes the baby react, I can see why they've added it.

I would have no problem with Caitlyn having this doll, even her ducks go up her top. Not creepy, very cute! x

I don't know what I think about it, I don't see how it's 'sexualising' young girls like the article suggests but I don't think the bra is necessary, little girls can pretend to breastfeed their dolls without it. It's innocent enough though, it's only a bra with flowers on, if it was actually a pair of boobs I would think that was a bit much! x

I'm not sure. Yes it's a good idea to encourage breastfeeding but I think kids will do it if thats what they are used to and I don't think it needs to be done at such a young age. Also I think you would have to be a bit errmm.... wierd to think a young girl in a flowery top was being sexualised. I think there are things on sale for young girls that are worse than this but thats a whole other story

I agree with a point made in one of the articles about this doll:

Breastfeeding is a thing that adults do, NOT children :shrug:

I don't agree with "toy" babies if I'm honest anyway, I never had or wanted one when I was little and I deffinatly won't be getting my little girl one either :shrug: I think its weird seeing young girls with baby dollies :\ I would much prefer to get a lifelike animal or baby animal for my child to play with than a lifelike human baby!!!

It would make me really uncomfortable if I were to see a child using this toy, but thats just my opinion

Children should be playing with proper childrens toys and games not simulating parenthood!!! There is plenty of time for that in later life!

x

Do you have children already? I was dead set on my little girl not having a doll, but her face when she saw them, and how she went on about them even though she was only a year old, I couldn't say no.

Not yet but will have soon enough :flower: !

I dunno how I'll feel... I'm hoping she'll be like me when I was little though! A complete tomboy!!

I was well more into my arty crafty stuff anyway - anything I could get my hands dirty with !

I don't think I would be very good playing with her if she was all dolly-fied hahaha but I know I'll be much more fun when she starts painting and drawing and making things :)

Yeah I saw you were pregnant I just wondered if you had one already and could give me some tips on not giving in :rofl:

:haha: I will be sure to let you know how I get on once my LO is here :p x

I agree with a point made in one of the articles about this doll:

Breastfeeding is a thing that adults do, NOT children :shrug:

I don't agree with "toy" babies if I'm honest anyway, I never had or wanted one when I was little and I deffinatly won't be getting my little girl one either :shrug: I think its weird seeing young girls with baby dollies :\ I would much prefer to get a lifelike animal or baby animal for my child to play with than a lifelike human baby!!!

It would make me really uncomfortable if I were to see a child using this toy, but thats just my opinion

Children should be playing with proper childrens toys and games not simulating parenthood!!! There is plenty of time for that in later life!
x

Toy "people" are actually a good thing for a child and help develop what I feel are important qualities such as their caring and nuturing side. I am currently making Edward a fabric doll. I have a book called 'Creative play for your baby' that gives you alot of ideas for DIY toys, this is what it says about dolls "Both boys and girls need to re-enact the care they are given, and doll play will contribute to your childs development into a loving parent. As s/he grows the child will involve the doll in his/her imaginative play..."

I think Caitlyn has learnt a lot from her "babies," but I don't know if she wouldn't have learnt that anyway x

Yeah but at the end of the day we don't need to give a child a fake baby to teach them how to care, as I said, I didn't have one - they didn't interest me in the slightest! And i've grown up to be as caring a human being as somone who was given dolls.

Why do young children need to be taught how to be loving parents :wacko: ?!

Childhood is childhood in my opinion :shrug: why encourage them to do adult things when they have their whole lives to live through and learn those things at a normal rate!

Well, after observing my own son, I would say that a LOT of his play (not all, but a lot) is dedicated to mimicking me or his dad, and therefore, is mimicking adult activities. I think the principle is no different with a breastfeeding pretend game, because as with all mimicking games, kids like to do what the adults are doing. My son likes to help me cook and clean and gets a lot of enjoyment out of that. He will pretend with his tools and be all serious, doing ''work'' like a construction worker. He has pretended games where he plays house, and for him this involves ''going to work'' and coming home at night with the money from his work to buy food and stuff (mimicking his dad who is the breadwinner).

I don't see how this is any different in principle. I think what specific games a child chooses to play and mimic depends on their personality and interests. Some girls might take no interest in dolls and pretend ''momming'' while others do. Just as some boys take no interest in cooking or kitchen stuff, but others (like my son) do.

I have no issue with the breastfeeding doll itself really. There are dolls out there who have bottles too so I think it's great to have a doll that might potentially send a good message about breastfeeding. It definitely is unusual and I think there's a small bit of shock factor involved, and that makes us take notice as it's out of the ordinary, but I certainly don't think it sexualizes anything, because breastfeeding is not a sexualized activity.

I really dont like the idea of it,I think its a bit too werid and plus i think it sends out the wrong message to young girls.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->