Breastfeeding, feeds dropping, food intake..

S

Serene123

Caitlyn has gotten some bad habits. I let her fall asleep on my boob all the time and let her stay there. It works for us and I've never had a problem with it. However, she has stopped feeding inbetween naps and the only time she will feed is when she's tired/about to fall asleep. She has about 3 naps during the day so 3-4 feeds, and the nap feeds will be for half an hour to and hour. :shock: She also feeds just before bed, and in the morning. I'd say all in all she is still getting 5-6 full feeds.

Anyway, she eats alot too. She eats anything she's given but I wouldn't say her diet is "balanced." Is it alright that she's dropping those feeds? Will she be getting enough of what she needs from food to replace those feeds? What do they need to eat in order for it to be alright for them to drop milk?

:blush: Clueless!

Normally she will eat:

Breakfast: Porridge and a yogurt.
Lunch: Dairylea cheese sandwich, a babybell or slice of chedder, and a yogurt.
Dinner: Whatever I make, usually veggies of some sort. Not really good with introducing meats yet. And then a desert (a jar desert, or some fruit)

She also snacks inbetween on heinz baby biscotte, (or atleast I think that's what it is,) apple rice cakes, fruit and baby rusks.

She eats ALOT.

Is she doing alright? Is it alright for her to be dropping feeds? She drinks water during meals too.

5-6 feeds is still good... she is starting to wean herself. At 8 months she is doing great. Some babies can start cows milk at that age (not suggesting this is what you need to do, just an example) so I dont think bm or formula is as important at that stage.

sounds like she's doing fab toria :) i'm trying to drop feeds (formula) for maddi, its so hard though :)

Thank you! :D

Good luck with dropping feeds with Maddi x

I know it's hard to tell how much she is getting when she breastfeeds but my HV was saying the other day for me to be careful with Mark as he is a big milk drinker and that I should try and give him food not milk sometimes in order to encourage him to cut down. He dropped one milk feed by himself but this past few days I have sort of dropped them for him by giving him a "snack" (aka another almost-meal sized amount!) in the afternoon. I am stopping breastfeeding very soon and just giving bottles. I have cut down the amount in the bottle he gets now from 9 oz to 7 oz and when he is just on bottles they will be all 7 oz. You hear so much about babies needing "minimum" 20oz when weaned, but apparantly there is a sort of "maximum" too. I also think that I wasn't making as much milk any more and I think that Mark wasn't sucking as efficiently, he would feed for the same amount of time as before and not be hungry afterwards, but I couldn't express as much as I could have a month ago (prior to weaning.)

Hannah's formula fed but we've gotten her down to 4 bottle feeds plus 3 meals and 2 good sized snacks a day. Sometimes if we are eating something we'll give her tastes in between too. She eats more than I ever thought she would! A lot of hers is fruit though, I've learned the hard way that to much dairy makes her constipated.

Yeah dairy constipates Erin aswell. Erin is on 3 good meals a day now and she has dropped a milk feed. She is now on 3 bottles a day of 7oz plus 2oz of milk in her cereal. xx

Caitlyn has runny booby baby poo still and she has been on solids for 2 months :rofl:

if she seems happy enough, I think she's probably getting enough! I didn't mean to drop milk feeds but I just started offering snacks and his intake has gone down (down too far probably but I've heard that babies are either solid lovers or milk lovers really).

i'd say Ted gets about 5 or 6 feeds per 24 hours now. Morning, mid morn, mid afternoon, before bed and once or twice in the night (I'm hoping to cut these 2 soon.......)I think it's fine. But I would want to start working on another way for her to fall asleep before it gets too tough?...I think it's kind to teach a child to get to sleep easily on its own.

Skyler is also having boobie at naptime and usually falls asleep that way.I dont feel it's a bad habit at all.He has 3 naps daily and drinks about 10minutes (I think my milk flow is fast).He doesnt eat as much as Caitlyn though.
BF-Oatmeal
Lunch-Veggies and meat or chicken puree (lumpy consistency)
Dinner-Pasta or potatoes plus meat or chicken puree/Macaroni and cheese pureed

I stopped giving snacks as he wasnt eating his meals if he was given a snack.I do give him a piece of toast to suck on as he is teething and it helps with itching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->