Breastfeeding help...not getting much

AnakeRose

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I tried breastfeeding my baby right off the bat and by the second day all he would do is cry because he was so hungry. I had to start giving him formula because he had lost nearly 10% of his birth weight. I started using the Madela electric pump and I can only manage 25ml out of a 20 minute pump session. I'm starting to get discouraged. I had a c-section so I know your milk can be delayed.

My mom and grandmother both had problems with breastfeeding. My mom had no milk with me and had the same problem I'm having with my brother.

I'm going out tonight to get some fenugreek to see if that helps. My baby has an appointment this Friday so I'll ask if I can get the prescription to help.

Just need some guidance.

Supplementing with formula probably hindered that, but you can't let the little man starve. :( Have you talked with local LC's at all? Please don't be discouraged about the amount you're pumping. In the beginning it won't be much at all, and certainly not as much as the LO can take.

I can only give my personal experience, but here's an example: My first DD was born blue and ended up in a NICU in spite of her 38 week gestation and her massive size (12lbs plus). They drove her two hours away from me, and I followed 15 hours after nearly bleeding to death with her. Due to her various issues (related to birth trauma) they did not feed her AT ALL the first several days. They had her on lots of bags, including a banana bag. (vitamins) I pumped my ever-loving heart out, discouraged by only getting drops at a time. They assured me this was natural, and had me pumping round the clock on a two hour schedule. I did not vary from it once. Beyond that, they did not throw away my little drops - they saved every single one! This of course ended up being my colostrum, and they would end up putting it through a tube in her nose down into her tummy. When we were allowed to try to breastfeed they told me it would take weeks and to combi-feed her with formula until then. I took her home, and she wouldn't wake up at all. She was not used to being hungry before a feed, so seems she didn't know how to wake up. I was terrified! I called LLL and was instructed to stop giving her formula no matter what, and to put her to breast very often. They also taught me how to rouse her for feeds, so that is what I did. She was EBF within 24 hours. That is not for everyone, but I needed help and got it. I did still end up running out of milk in the 9th month (due to feeding her too soon - I didn't know that cereals and purees are not necessary as everyone likes to teach), but we had - I believe - a good run.

Second baby I had a cesarean, and took her to breast as soon as I was set up in the recovery room. Getting to meet my baby and stay in the same place as her was a dream come true. She lost over a pound of weight, and became lightly jaundiced but the nursing staff is pro-nursing and let me go with my instincts instead of forcing anything on either of us. I put her on the breast constantly, and she pinked back up and was able to come home.

Why am I sharing these? Because with the first DD I pumped SO much and ended up having massive amounts in the bottles (I was very proud of this) I expected the same thing with my current LO. This has not been the case. To this day if I pump for her I can mostly get around 1/2oz from both breasts - 2oz at the very most (again, both breasts combined). I can get 3 if I've had fenugreek and pump instead of nurse. But like I said, mostly I only get around a 1/2 ounce. I've all but given up at it, actually.

So please don't be too discouraged at the amount you are pumping. I think you are smart to get a supplement and ask for help. Breastfeeding is a lot more work for some of us than others. (All three of my sisters could be nurse maids.) It is work that is worth it, though. Finding someone you can talk to locally is a really good idea. That said, I'm very grateful for Baby and Bump because it is also a good source of support. I wish I'd had something like it seven years ago! I might not have had to stop so early!

Formula definitely puts a dent in what we can do, so in your case I would always, always offer the breast first. Letting your baby suckle will stimulate production, and whether or not your breasts respond to the pump, baby will get more as time goes on. Even the crying helps, oddly enough. You can always go to formula after if you have to, but definitely put time into trying to keep up the breastfeeding.

Genetics may or may not play a roll, I'm not sure. I would say though, that we have more resources today than either your mother or grandmother did. Don't let it get into your head that this trouble has to happen or is the end of your nursing experience. With work and real guidance you should be able to build supply and wean off of the formula. :)

I forgot to mention something that is fairly obvious but not always brought up - make sure you are staying nourished and hydrated yourself. Try not to feel so tense and stressed, and make sure you are taking care of yourself too. I know that feels impossible sometimes in those post-baby hormones. I remember thinking "How on earth am I supposed to manage THAT?" lol But keeping fed, hydrated, and giving yourself a mental break so you're not wound up tight from stress really will help.

I don't have any advice but would like to offer my experience.
My baby is 25-days old and we are just now complying. He had extreme difficulty latching on at first, I had to use the nipple shields for 3 weeks. It's only been for the past 2-3 days that baby now prefers the actual breast over the fake nipples.
But as I've overcome mastitis I'm now battling thrush (yeast infection of the nipples). Baby is very comfortable on bottle, I guess I'm lucky to get 3oz/100ml per pump session, which takes me about 30-40 minutes.

My point is that baby had a very difficult time for the first few weeks and the first week especially!
For some it does all just happen naturally lik chimchims said, but for others of us we have to figure out what works. And you will! Keep onto hope! You'll find a way.

Don't give up. You're going through the hardest part now but if you manage to make this work it will really be worth it. Lot's of new mothers think they don't have enough milk and that their baby is still hungry. In truth it is highly likely that you do have all the colostrum & milk that you need. Of course it is possible you don't but it is pretty unusual.

This is just my experience after breastfeeding three babies but I hope it helps.

I think in the early days you have to 100% give yourself over to breastfeeding. Feed when baby wants. Baby may seem like they want to feed almost all the time but go with it. Lay down and rest while you feed, read, watch TV but don't try to rush things. Being calm and accepting really seem to help.

Babies feed little and often with colostrum. You'll know when your milk comes in because your breasts will suddenly feel very full. When this happens it is extremely important to ditch all substituting with formula as it will interfere with the supply and demand process.

Feed your baby on demand and more often is certainly better in the couple of days after your milk comes in. The amount baby feeds will determin the amount of milk you make.

They have a habit of happily filling up on formula and then sleeping ages afterwards but it doesn't actually mean they needed it. A few days after your milk has come in you'll start to have a routine and become more confident about your supply. It's just getting to that point and trusting in your body that it can provide for your baby. :hugs:

I tried breastfeeding exclusively for the last 2 days and I have had maybe 4 hours of sleep because he just wants to eat all the time. I'm so upset and discouraged right now. He's just getting so frustrated that he cries uncontrollably and it's breaking my heart to see him so upset. I know everyone keeps saying don't give up, but I'm at my breaking point right now. My baby is 10 days old today and hasn't had a full meal yet on the breast. I'm having to use the nipple shield because my breasts are KILLING me. He seems to be getting a decent latch, but I'm still only getting drops out at a time. The health nurses are making me feel like I'm a bad mom because I'm having so much trouble. Is it so bad to use formula? I don't want my baby to starve!! :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->