Breastfeeding I'm not losing any weight? Anyone else?

honey915

mum to 2 little boys
Reaction score
Ok this isn't fourth baby I should know by now that it takes time but seriously?! I eat when I'm physically hungry and I never binge. I'm still a healthy weight but before I fell I was my usual weight of around 8 stone ns now I'm 9.5. this is not normal for me and I don't feel like myself. Weirdly I lost and went down to just below 9 but this morning I'm 9,7. What gives? Like I say my calorie intake is normal. 1800 or so which is why I ate when I weighed 8 stone. But if breastfeeding really does burn 500 calories a day and I'm eating my normal intake amount to maintain my usual pre pregnancy weight why am I still bigger than before? It's getting me down so much. I feel awful about and I'm literally today just thinking I'll just hugely restrict my intake. Ive had bloods taken. Last week and still haven't had results so it could be thyroid or hormones. My baby is 9 weeks old. He is exclusively fed. I seem to remember this with my third baby and the weight just fell off at 6 months. Just wondering is anyone else or has anyone else had the same problem?

I hear ya. My dd is 2 and I'm still 30 pounds above where I was when I got pg with her. I would just say your pretty tiny and maybe a bit older so cut yourself a break and enjoy your family. I would be excited to have multiple kids running around and you know what you weigh is just a number and it's not a big deal to anyone but you.

Although breastfeeding does burn calories, oxytocin also makes your body more efficient at extracting nutrients and energy from your food - this is why women in situations close to starvation can still often feed their baby.

Also, don't forget that when you're breastfeeding your boobs are bigger than normal, plus they are filled with milk, so the liquid obviously adds weight. It will make a difference to when you weight yourself whether you have just fed your baby or not. Hormones can make you retain water too.

Oh and I just realised you said your baby is only 9 weeks old! Please relax!! 9 months to put the weight on and more than 9 months to take it off is incredibly normal, there's absolutely no reason you should be stressing about not being back to your pre-baby weight when you only have a 9 week old. Give it 9 months at the very least. It probably took me over a year both times and that's normal.

Thanks for your replies ladies. I just find it bizzare that I'm eating hardly anything and still not shifting on the scales or changing. I'll be calling the surgery for those blood results today. My only panic is that I have to get into a 2k wedding dress in three months so I figured I'd be able to lose it by then but it seems nothing short of starvation will get rid of this weight. Its so frustrating. The dress is a size 6. What I weighed before unexpectedly falling pregnant. So I'm really sad I may not get into it after all and had my heart set on that dress. Sad times. First world problems though hey?!

Starvation will make your body hold onto the weight please don't do that. Eat 2/3rd of your plate full of fruit and veg, small portion of carbs and lots of protein. Please trust me that restricting your food will not lose you the weight and it could dry up your milk supply.

I did slimming world 3 years ago and lost 3 stone in 8 months. You can do this please just try lots of veg and fruit instead :) I'm pretty bummed about my weight too but I totally understand your panic with fitting into your wedding dress. Good luck!

You can't starve and hold onto weight, that makes so sense.

Get some digital kitchen scales, weigh and log your food with something like myfitnesspal.

minties-You will lose it eventually if you starve yourself but your body will lower your metabolism in the first instance to prevent loss and may never recover to it's original level. This is why crash dieters pile weight back on.
op- i agree with others that 9 weeks is far too early to see significant weight loss, I actually put a bit of weight on because I was so hungry! I'm only really approaching my starting weight again now at 11.5 months but I haven't made an effort to lose it, it's just happened. I find myfitnesspal in the past worked best alongside my fitbit, it helps to know roughly how much you're burning so you can balance your calorie intake

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->