breastfeeding latch got bad and now mostly formula...gutted!

angelbump

Reaction score
My little boy is 4 weeks old and I was until 2 days ago breastfeeding and expressing. This was lovely however...he wasnt latching great after me using bottles (we had to introduce a bottle in hosp due to csection and a lack in colostrum) I've introduced formula as I wasnt able to do anything throughout the day due to him constantly coming off the boob and not getting enough amd then I had to use up all the milk id expressed to fill him up. He also loves to suck!
Im gutted as I dont feel ready to stop him having breastmilk and i planned to keep expressing so he had a morning, noon and night breastmilk bottle but my milk has deminished ever so quickly! I am going to express a bit more often to try and get supply back up but does anyone have any tips on quickly getting this back up?
Thankyou for any support x

Pump, pump, pump, it will come back. Drink tons of water.

loads of skin to skin with your baby and let him suck as much as he can to stimulate your supply. stay well hydrated and I believe oats are supposed to be good to eat too.

Why is his latch bad? Why are you expressing rather than feeding him directly? Exclusively expressing is incredibly hard and I would advise that as a last resort. I think you need to find experienced support to help you with getting him latched on, checking why it's not working out for you, and then getting him feeding is the way to get your supply sorted. I'm thinking IBCLC or la leche league or similar, not a midwife or hca who has only had a minimal amount of training. Sounds like you started off on the wrong foot being pushed to supplement very early whilst no one helped you to get the actual bfing issue solved. It's not too late to save your bfing relationship but you need to get experienced help now, advice from people over the Internet who can't see what's going on in real life will only get you so far x

Lots of skin to skin (get in the bath with LO!), drink fennel and/or fenugreek tea, eat oats, lots of water, lots of rest. I would get baby latched on as much as possible instead of pumping. Take to bed with the baby and feed feed feed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->