Breastfeeding moms...what are you doing for birth control?

fashionlover

Reaction score
I am 4 months pp and trying no to get pregnant any time soon. Just wondering what some of you ladies are doing for birth control other than the pill. I have yet to start my period again and have no way of tracking.

I'm 7 weeks post partum and will be getting the paraguard iud soon (hopefully). I'm too paranoid about hormones affecting my supply, and don't want to get pregnant again for at least 2-3 years, if ever. So the copper iud seemed the best way for me to go. It makes me slightly nervous since I don't know when my period will come back, but it's just as effective as other methods with hormones, so trying not to worry too much about a surprise pregnancy!

I'm 9 weeks PP. DH got a vasectomy 5 months ago. We are still waiting for his sperm count to be zero before relying on that. So for now its barrier methods (polyurethane condoms bc I'm allergic to latex). I mix this w watching fertility signs.

In the past (before we were done having babies and I was BFIng) we did charting, fertility signs, and the diaphragm w spermicide. Also abstaining or using condom if fertile. Worked well as long as we used everything in conjunction

I'm getting a copper iud in a week.

Only options that dont affect supply are depo, mini pill , implan and iud .

I just went to my 6 week pp checkup and got my prescription for the mini pill. 3 days in and so far so good, my dr didn't hesitate prescribing this knowing that I am EBF. I just didn't want to get the IUD yet because we are planning another baby in about a year.

Fighting over who does more or get more sleep...the few times we do do it, condoms.

I used ortho options conceptrol gel. It is non-hormonal, easy to use, and I hate condoms so that was a plus. It is as effective as condoms. It is gel-like so I can see it being messy, but I had problems with lubrication for awhile (hormones?) so it was actually a plus for me. :)

Reasons I used it was because it is easy to discontinue use when we wanted to ttc again (obviously not one you need to worry about), doesn't have hormonal side-effects, I hate condoms, and even though I know most people have no problems with an iud, my sister and my friend (the only 2 people I know who used them) had bad things happen with them so I personally didn't want to use one. :)

I will be opting for a copper coil once I'm 12 weeks PP.

I have been on the mini pill since 3 weeks pp. I had been on the injection for many years before I had lo but want another baby within a year or so and fertility can take a while to come back with that. The pill (Cerazette) has been fine so far :)

I use the Marquette Method NFP (breastfeeding protocol).

I've always relied on breastfeeding as a contraception/natural child spacing, along with a bit of fertility awareness. Gave me a natural gap between #1 and #2 of 21months. I've only had one period since #2 and if I'd got pregnant that cycle I'd have had a 24 month gap between #2 and #3.

Of course that was with wanting another child at some point and not everyone manages to keep AF and ovulation away for as long as I did.

I've always relied on breastfeeding as a contraception/natural child spacing, along with a bit of fertility awareness. Gave me a natural gap between #1 and #2 of 21months. I've only had one period since #2 and if I'd got pregnant that cycle I'd have had a 24 month gap between #2 and #3.

Of course that was with wanting another child at some point and not everyone manages to keep AF and ovulation away for as long as I did.

Did you track your ovulation cycles? How could you tell you were not fertile?

6 weeks post partum I got the Mirena IUD and it's been great! It hasn't affected milk supply, it hasn't affected my hormones, weight gain or anything. I highly recommend it.

Did you track your ovulation cycles? How could you tell you were not fertile?

I didn't ovulate until 12.5 months post partum and conceived with that first ovulation. I watched my cm for fertile signs. If I got fertile signs then I'd check with ovulation microscope and/or OPK. The Billings Fertility Awareness method works well with breastfeeding.

I preferred a diaphragm. I'll never understand why they're not more popular than they are. They're incredibly convenient, I didn't have to have anything inserted into my cervix (after giving birth, just the thought of someone putting something into my cervix scares the hell out of me), and I never had any hormonal disruptions from taking the pill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->