Breastfeeding only twice a day but still no period :(

x Helen x

Reaction score
Hi ladies, looking for some advice here.

I am still breastfeeding my 14 month old daughter. We have been on 2 feeds a day (once in the morning and once at night) since she turned 12 months, but my period still hasn't returned.

We have been "trying" for baby number 2 for a few months now but I'm starting to lose hope of it ever happening whilst still BF my daughter, yet on the other hand I do not feel ready to stop BF her completely yet as it's a big comfort thing to her. She has never been happy to take feeds from bottle or cup so it would be a very difficult transition for her.

Has anyone else been in the same position, and if so how long was it before your period returned?

I know I'm not pregnant already as I take a test every week or so to check and all have been negative.

I should probably add... I was taking cerazette until LO was around 9 months old but stopped when we decided we were ready for #2. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Mine returned when Ashley dropped to one feed and he was 18 months. We're trying for number 2 as well and mine is all over the place with random spotting mid cycle.

Good luck

omg helen, I remember when we were in 3rd tri together. Trying for another baby, good for you...I don't think I could do it!

I wish I could swap unteri with you. I got my period back at 10 months even though I was still bfing a lot and pumping almost 40 oz a day.

There might be a delay, if you cut back your nursing at 12 months, it might take a few more months to actually ovulate?

Hi Helen, I sympathise! We want to try for baby number two next year and I still haven't had my period. That said, LO still feeds 4-5 times a day on average, so more than your LO. I'm wondering how much we will have to cut down to get my cycle started again? I have a weird feeling it won't happen until LO stops entirely, my body seems fairly sensitive to hormones!

Can you temp? Even without a period, you could still be ovulating. I have symptoms every month, but no period.

I got AF back at 9 month pp, but even with AF I am not completely fertile as I have a short LP secondary to breastfeeding. I am also TTC no 2 and only on 2 feeds a day, hoping that this will lengthen my LP. I have just started charting to see what is really going on! I so thought AF meant fertile, but not so for a lot of women who are breastfeeding! Charting may be worth while to see what is going on. I have also known of women to take vitex to bring back their cycle? But unfortunately some women do need to totally wean to get pregnant. Even though I have my cycles back, I think I may need to totally wean to get complete fertility, it sucks!

Hi
I got my period back at 8 months. I had heard a few people say they got it back after taking iron supplements and I was meant to be taking iron anyway so I tried floradix it is iron and other stuff. Period came back that month.
I don't know if there's anything to it but you could always try?
Also I got pregnant there at 12 months(10 weeks now-first month trying) and am still bfing.
Best of luck-I hope it works out for you!
:D

Thanks ladies for all the advice.

I didn't know you could ovulate without having a period after?! I may have to start temping then to see what's going on.

Very interesting about the iron supplements, maybe I'll have a chat to my doctor about that and see what they recommend.

Susannah - i know!! Seems like only yesterday we were in third tri together! Time has flown by, can't believe they are growing up so fast.

I still have no period, I am breastfeeding and on cerazette. I thought it had returned at 9 months but I haven't had anything since. I think I may be ovulating however as I am suffering migraines and other period symptoms.

You can't ovulate with no period :flower: you can have symptoms if your body is gearing up to try to ovulate. But if you actually ovulate then you will get a period in the next 1-3 weeks. I had plenty of periods of EWCM before my first PP cycle.

:hugs: Helen -- my cycle is back but it's very irregular even though I'm only pumping twice a day and maintaining less than half of a supply. Fortunately we're not TTC yet so I'm not in a hurry, but I have been surprised, too.

You can't ovulate with no period but that doesn't mean your body doesn't try and get ready for it...It just doesn't happen.

You also don't ovulate whilst on cerezette. That's the whole purpose of that contraceptive.

Thanks everyone for the replies, you have been most helpful.

I have been to see my GP today and they are sending me for blood tests and a pelvic and trans vaginal ultrasound to try and determine if there are any underlying causes. Will let you know what they come up with! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->