Breastfeeding & Periods?

MetalMaiden

three it be
Reaction score
Hi girls!! (also posted in BF forum with no advice :( )

I have a dumb question! I have been experiencing cramps these past couple days, (I got the copper IUD a couple weeks ago) and I was wondering if it's possible that I will be getting a period? Can you get a period while breastfeeding? Will my supply dwindle if AF comes? TIA!! (sorry for my FTM daftness :dohh:)

I think some people get their period while BFing but I haven't yet and LO is 8 1/2 months. I vaguely remember getting cramps around 4 months PP too and thinking I would get my period soon. That never happened though. I can't say anything about the IUD because I never had that put in.

I used to have an IUD (Mirena). It didn't cause me many cramps, like aunt flo type anyway, only felt it when I sat "wrong" once in a great while. I do get AF now and I am primarily BF-ing, on demand...all day. Aunt flo returned 2 months ago even though LO does not go more than an hour or at the very longest 2, without eating, we do use 2 oz formula about every other day (used to be daily). What I believe caused AF to come back for us was LO sleeping like 6, 7 hours in one shot every night. She goes even longer now. I personally didn't notice any difference in supply. LO seems happy and I can pump the same amt I do every night at midnight before I go to bed, 3 to 4 oz.

I got a period a week after having the meraniA put in -8/9 weeks and then not again until seven months. I didn't have any change in milk output. I have my period now and I will say I am having a hard time pumping and not getting what I normally do. I am working full time and LO STTN, which might be why my period returned.

I've never had an IUD, but I did get my period while BF. I had mild cramping off and on from the time she was born, but for several days before my first AF, the cramps got pretty bad.

I've never had an IUD, but I did get my period while BF. I had mild cramping off and on from the time she was born, but for several days before my first AF, the cramps got pretty bad.

at how many months pp did you get it??

My daughter will be 6 months in one week. I got my first af pp today. I haven't noticed any change in milk supply. I don't pump so I don't know how much is normal but my daughter seems just as content after a feed as she normally does so that's why I don't think my supply is less. I also feed on demand and she has never had a bottle of breast milk or formula.

I got mine 3.5 months pp. I do notice that during the first few days of my period I can't pump as much. Like ill get 1-2 oz in 15 minutes. Where I normally get 3-4 and sometimes 5.

My periods are back - 3.5 pp, lo does have a bottle a day but also started sleeping 12 hours so I think that's what did it. My milk supply is struggling between when I ovulate (which I now get really bad stomach cramps from weird) until I start my period it's really annoying!! :-/

Mine came back at 4 months pp, much to my annoyance.

If you're BF on demand, the average time for your period to return is 36 weeks PP but it can vary wildly.

Mine came back at 12 weeks despite feeding on demand and at least twice overnight. I was so cross! I didn't really notice much difference in milk or supply, although in the days before I am less tolerant of LO using me as a snack bar!

My periods came back while still BF. It was around 7 1/2 months PP, and about two months after introducing solid food into my son's diet (and therefore reducing the amount of BFing per day).

I had a period about 2 weeks ago was gutted am demand feeding and do at least 2 overnight! Am hoping may be a one off but knowing my luck I will be one of the ones who does have it back quickly and while exclusively breast feeding!

I was hoping mine was a one time occurrence, and even BF-ed 1 extra feed at night....and an extra pump, but I got it again. Ugh. For me it may have something to do with health issues age as well. I'll be 39 this year and had alot of uterine troubles a few years ago. I have been somewhat hormonally whacked since them. The fact I even sustained a pregnancy amazes me.

I have a didelphic uterus (2 totally separate wombs 2 cervix) and wonder if that is anything to do with it! Post c-section I bled for nearly 8 weeks prob partly due to the very thick lining that had built up in the non pregnant side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->