Breastfeeding, pumping and working full time

sweetysangel8

Reaction score
I'm a first time mom and want to breastfeed my daughter for a year. I work in a small office with only 4 employees and I'll have to go back when my daughter is 6 weeks old. When is the best time to start pumping?

I normally work 8:30-4:00 with a 20 minute commute. I'd like to only have to pump on my lunch which is anytime between 12-1 for 30 minutes, but would it be possible to go that long without pumping without it affecting my supply? I think I could get my boss to let me do 2 pumping sessions thoughout the day but I know even though its law I know she would get upset if I did 3 sessions. I may be able to move my lunch to a different time as well except for between 1:00-1:30. Any ideas or advice how I can get this to work?

Sadly, no.

My schedule was wake up and nurse baby. Get ready for work, drive, settle in and about 1.5 hrs after getting there, I'd have to pump. If you're exclusively breastfeeding, you need to pump every 2-3 hours. I tried to pump every 2.5 hours.

It sucks. And it's hard. But I don't think your supply will stay what you need it to be if you only pump 1x at work. :(

I pumped exclusively for 14 months and worked full time with my daughter. I had to pump once in the morning, at lunch, and in the afternoon. Luckily it only took 10-15 minutes for me to pump each time though.

I EBF when not at work of course. But I had talked to another mom at my daughters daycare and she could only pump 1x a day while at work. She would pump for 40mins and luckily she would have a second let down and pump 12oz. However everyone is different. I would say just talk to your boss about pumping.

I currently pump 3x at work and although my door is closed I still answer phone, chat and write emails. So I am still getting work done and I pump for 20mins.

Good luck.

You cannot keep up your supply in that case. A lot of ladies have over supply, if you are like that you can start making a milk stash in the freezer during the first weeks,, and accept the fact that your supply will diminish sooner once you go back to work. My baby is a year old and I pump three times a day at work for 15 minutes each side. I also heard you shouldn't pump for more than 20 minutes at one go.

By letting you pump your employers are protecting themselves from having an employee off sick all the time - because if you get mastitis from not emptying your breasts often enough you will be off work sick and they will have to pick up the slack. A few fifteen minute breaks is nothing compared to 5 days off sick. (One day of 7hrs being equivalent to nearly three weeks worth of 2 x 15minute breaks). If your boss starts to complain just spell it out "If I don't pump now, I'm likely to get a blocked duct which could lead to me needing antibiotics and bed rest. I don't want to get sick so I really need to pump."

Although I know no-one wants the added stress of upsetting their work colleagues, the law is the law and it is there to protect you and your child's rights and health. I never even asked my employers if it was 'OK' to go feed my daughter/pump. I just did it and thought, if they have a problem they can challenge me officially.

If you are dead set against taking breaks, are you able to get to work 15minutes early and pump, and then pump for 15minutes right at the end of your working day before you set of to go back to your child? Even if you don't get enough milk to build a stash or to give her only breastmilk while you are away from her, these extra pumping sessions will help keep your supply so that you can feed her when you are together.

I think I'm going to do 3 sessions. A 9:30 one that she won't even notice because she never comes in before 11, one at noon on lunch and then a 2:30. So the only one she would really notice is the 2:30 one so hopefully she will be fine with it. Breastfeeding my baby is way more important to me.

Pump once before you even leave the house (after the baby eats). And I split my lunch into 3 ten minute breaks at work. I'm away from my baby 11 hours a day though. I pump at 530am (ish) (after baby eats) and I do this every day even on days off to maintain milk supply... and then I pump at 9am, 12pm, and 3pm and usually when I get home with my baby around 515pm she wants to nurse (regardless of whether or not she got a bottle an hour before that) so then I nurse right when we get home.

I also drink lactation tea and eat oatmeal everyday.

It makes for a long day, but keep in mind it's temporary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->