Breastfeeding research papers

cheese lover

Happy mom of 1
Reaction score
I'm going to do some looking myself as well but I was wondering if anyone here had links to research papers (peer-reviewed) that show the benefits of breastfeeding.
My FIL is driving me nuts. He's a PhD. in quantitative genetics and doesn't believe me when I say that there are benefits to breastfeeding. I've found articles in the past (and I'll pull them up again) but I'm getting ready for Christmas when I'm sure he'll want to challenge me again.
Also, if anyone has any papers about CIO vs. non-crying sleep I would appreciate those too.
TIA!:flower:

Just shows that you can have Phd and still be stupid! (sorry, but it annoys me so much when people try to challenge breastfeeding).
I have a feeling that there are links to papers on kellymom website https://kellymom.com/...

Ah, found lots for you https://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/prepare/bf-benefits.html
Good luck! :hugs:

Here's one about SIDS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669892

one about breast cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21519766

diabetes: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21348815

I have to work now, but I'll look for more later. :)

I was going to say the same thing: go to kellymom. Glad you got pointed that way.
Still trying to figure out why your OH would question BFing benefits - there is a ton of scientific evidence out there. And it's far from new... :shrug: Not his field, maybe? :)

No OH is great about it, he is totally on board and understands the research. FIL and MIL FF both their kids and honestly I think they're rejecting the research on BFing because it makes them feel like bad parents. I just want to be prepared at Christmas in case it becomes a discussion again. FIL's argument is that I'm looking at only one source, one paper that supports my position. I need to have several sources that are peer-reviewed to have in my pocket in case I have to defend myself again.
I appreciate the response! I need to look over all the papers, especially the ones for extended BFing as I'm sure that's the next argument (she doesn't need it anymore, you're just coddling her).

Oh sorry! I didn't read that right - you said your FIL. :dohh:
Well, that makes things way easier, I think. If it was your OH, you'd have way more work to do! :)

No OH is great about it, he is totally on board and understands the research. FIL and MIL FF both their kids and honestly I think they're rejecting the research on BFing because it makes them feel like bad parents. I just want to be prepared at Christmas in case it becomes a discussion again. FIL's argument is that I'm looking at only one source, one paper that supports my position. I need to have several sources that are peer-reviewed to have in my pocket in case I have to defend myself again.
I appreciate the response! I need to look over all the papers, especially the ones for extended BFing as I'm sure that's the next argument (she doesn't need it anymore, you're just coddling her).

Let's face it, your FIL is an academic and people who try to use research to prove you wrong will always find something to challenge you with. As long as you continue to battle against him on his turf (research) you will always lose in his mind. Instead of trying to convince him academically on the benefits of BF it might be more productive to be nonchalant about it.

For example, if he goes off on a rant "research shows that BF is useless blah blah blah..." you can say something like "oh well, LO seems to like it and I'm a little too lazy to muck around with sterilizing bottles." Or play a different card when they start to talk about formula and say something like "we really can't afford formula" or "FIL, I don't eat processed food, so my baby doesn't eat processed food."

Something else that might be effective is to call him out on his need to disprove your parenting choices. You can ask him "why is it so important to you to discredit BF? Didn't you raise your children the way you felt was best? Well this is my baby and just like you raised your children according to your sensibilities we will raise our kids according to ours. I find it fascinating that you go through so much trouble to research BF just so that you can tell me that I'm wrong. What's it to you anyway?" And then laugh as if it's hysterical.

I'll be honest, I've come across a lot of people who think BF is weird or wrong or unnecessary. I've tried to explain the benefits of BF but they don't care to listen, they already know what they know and don't have an open mind to admitting that they don't know anything. In the long run nothing shuts a person up more effectively than just nodding your head, smiling, and ignoring them. With a person like this it's best not to engage in conversation, don't step into the ring at all. Sometimes people just want to hear themselves talk - let them. You know that you won't be changing your mind about BF and as long as you engage in conversation with him your FIL believes he has a chance of outresearching you. If you just let him talk without bantering he'll just eventually sound like a crazy obsessed person. Just smile and nod and BF your baby lol.

Sorry for the lengthy post, this subject really gets to me.

Oh it gets to me too! unfortunately OH and I are scientists too so it is my turf too. The worst part is he has NO evidence to bring to the table. He hasn't researched it at all. He just keeps asking me to provide evidence. I am going to ask for his evidence next time. The problem with confronting him is he'll just get really defensive and get really pissed off which really isn't how I want to spend the holidays. I also don't want to be known as the bitch DIL that ruined possibly MIL's last Christmas. Science is the only way that I can prove my case with minimal emotions.

I don't usually engage him. I just made an off comment about LO's pediatrician saying that the best thing I can do to prevent allergies is BF since FIL was concerned about the number of possible allergens I was introducing in LO's diet. I normally don't talk about BFing, co-sleeping, non-CIO at all. DH usually sticks his foot in it by making a comment that brings these things up. I need a baseball sign that means STFU so I can stop him.

That's even worse if he's not providing evidence. The only evidence you need to provide is your smiling happy healthy baby. Who cares about the research? Sounds like you have a case of horrible in laws and no amount of research can help that lol.

Does the WHO stance on BF count for anything? :shrug:
I mean, it's an international recommendation now, strongly advocated.
I suppose it can always be a friendly conversation like, "I know! I can't believe the new findings on BF, either!", so that you aren't butting heads, but sort of sharing info....
Palestrina probably has a point that he just wants to fight. I don't know him at all, but if his wife is really ill, as your last post suggests, perhaps he's just looking for outlets for his negative feelings about that...? :shrug:
I agree with you - avoiding the whole topic is probably the best choice.

My FIL is pretty much a jerk. I know that. I pretty much don't talk to him about much other than small talk. DH knows his dad's a jerk, will admit it to me freely but still for some reason respects his opinion.

I know I won't convince him of anything but I want to be prepared because I don't like to be called a fool that can't understand research which is basically what he said to DH after I left on Sunday. Of course DH did the best he could to support me but he doesn't know the research, he trusts me to make scientifically sound decisions.

He is very upset right now, understandably so. My MIL has been battling stage IV ovarian cancer for almost 3 years. It has spread to her brain and one of the tumors recently popped back up. The tumors are inoperable and can only be fought with radiation. She can only have so many radiation treatments though. We thought we were going to lose her in October but after radiation she seems to be doing better. We don't know how much time she has. She is a wonderful woman who IMO deserved a much better husband than she chose.

...We thought we were going to lose her in October but after radiation she seems to be doing better. We don't know how much time she has. She is a wonderful woman who IMO deserved a much better husband than she chose.

Ignore him and spend all your time with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->