Breastfeeding Schedule?

Skywalker

Reaction score
I feel like I am breastfeeding ALL the time. Is it normal for my 3 month old to nurse every 2 to 2.5 hours? My sister doesn't remember nursing her children that often and is trying to encourage me to space it out, but he freaks out if I go beyond 2.5 hours. I'm thinking of eventually supplementing a little bit of formula to try to help him stay fuller longer and space out the feedings but I don't know if that's a good idea or not? I'm getting really frustrated. On the one hand I feel like I should just feed him whenever he's hungry and on the other hand I have family or other people who get frustrated with me because I'm having to feed all the time, and I also get frustrated because I feel like I can't get anything done. What is all of your experiences?

Yep, normal. Why would your family be frustrated that you're feeding him? How does that affect them?

Schedules are generally discouraged for young babies since their bellies are still so small and do tend to need frequent feeding. Keep in mind that every baby is different. Some go long stretches early on and others feed every hour for months. You'll be safest just to continue feeding on demand. I'd imagine trying to implement a schedule at that age would be stressful all around.

Normal. And I don't think formula would do much. I've seen lots of people on here say they were going to do that for the same reason, then say they still kept eating just as often. Just remember it won't last forever :)

Yep, normal. Why would your family be frustrated that you're feeding him? How does that affect them?

Schedules are generally discouraged for young babies since their bellies are still so small and do tend to need frequent feeding. Keep in mind that every baby is different. Some go long stretches early on and others feed every hour for months. You'll be safest just to continue feeding on demand. I'd imagine trying to implement a schedule at that age would be stressful all around.

I thought that was the case. I'm moving in with my sister (I'm a single mama to this baby and she's helping out) and she keeps reitterating over and over again that I should try to stretch out his schedule because she doesn't remember feeding her babies as often (they're now teenagers). She's frustrated for me because she wants me to be able to get more done than I do and she's also frustrated for her part because she wants to be able to do more with us. I'm in a situation where I'm going to be trying to do an associates degree online and it feels like I'm constantly feeding him so I just was wondering, but I agree, I want to do what's best for him, so I'll keep feeding as he needs it. Will he eventually move his feedings out on his own? Like will he start being happy to go past 2.5 hours and only give hunger cues at 3 hours, 3.5 hours, etc., on his own?

My lo was going that amount of time between feedings until she started daycare. When she's not with me she will go 3-3.5 hrs. I think since she isn't smelling me, she isn't thinking about eating as much. On the weekends she goes back to 2-2.5. She's 15 weeks.

It depends. Mine has always been ok at night, gone anywhere from 3-7 hours without feeding, but in the daytime wanted feeding every 2 hours approximately. She didn't really start to space them out til about 6 months, she suddenly seemed to work out how to be more efficient feeding and we started weaning. My mum was the same, frustrated because I was always feeding the baby and kept telling me that she only fed us every 4 hours but I'm not listening to my baby cry in hunger for 2 hours thank you! Now she's nearly 9 months and only has a couple of really long feeds a day with two or three shorter top ups too, and it all seems to have happened so quickly! It won't be very long before your baby is 1 and you're wondering where the time went x

All babies are different, they definitely will space out in their own time. Your sister has probably forgotten what it's like tbh, I can't remember too much detail about bf and I only stopped a year ago.

I don't know if it helps but my friend ff from birth, and baby still wanted small bottles every 2hrs for at least 6m. Some babies just prefer little and often unfortunately. At least with bf you don't have the bottles to wash too lol.

Yes my little girl is the same as Irish was saying, she goes long stretches at night but in the day makes up for it by feeding every 1.5-3 hours (at a push), I'm happy with this because I know I'm lucky with her at night.

I also doubt formula would do much good, you might get an extra hour or so sometimes but is that worth the faff of making up the formula and sterilising etc all yourself if it's not going to give you extra sleep or anything and possibly won't give any more space between feedings anyway as people are saying.

Perhaps your sister saying 'it doesn't have to be like this' is contributing to your frustration because you're wanting it to be different or thinking you're doing something wrong.. it might help you relax about it if you try to remember that he knows what he needs and you're doing the natural thing to respond to that. I'm sure he's getting full up, just digesting fast!

Feedings do space out on their own, obviously quite a lot after 6 months :) I know it's hard at times now, but you've only got another 3 months of him exclusively wanting to cuddle and feed every 2-3 hours, I say enjoy it and trust that it's all working well.

I often feel glued to the sofa too but maybe rather than getting the babies to go longer, we need to get better at feeding them while on the go and doing everything! :haha:

That's how often babies feed. We are only occasionally going 3 hours or more now that lo has been on solids for 3+ months. Feeding on demand is always recommended to maintain your supply.

My 7 month old still feeds every 2 hours - day and night. It's part and parcel of breastfeeding, and frankly your sister shouldn't be so impatient. Like a PP said, it doesn't last forever. :flower:

If someone told me to stretch DD's feeds and schedule them, I'd tell them that they can deal with DD when she is hungry and being denied milk! ;)

Breastmilk digests at a much faster rate than formula, but rest assured you are giving your LO the very best start in life :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->