• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Breastfeeding second time round

Poppeteer

Reaction score
This might sound ridiculous as I'm still breastfeeding my first, but I'm due to be induced in 2 weeks and I'm genuinely nervous about breastfeeding a newborn again!

I had such a rough time with my first with sore bleeding nipples, poor latch, finding a good feeding position, and my daughter lost alot of weight at first and ended up hospitalised with jaundice... We worked through those issues and I'm now down to one very short comfort feed at night.

Is it much easier second time around? I was shattered last time when it would take me 20 mins just trying to get daughter to latch on.... And tbh I don't remember much, whereas now my daughter just latches herself with no second thought from me..,.

Any advice? Please?

I can't really help, as I've only been through it all once, but I do know how you feel. I want more children, but I'm so nervous about having to get BFing established again.

I imagine you'll just click back into 'newborn' mode, and your body will remember how to do the rest. I wouldn't overthink it, just try and relax. And make sure you know where to find support :)

Hope everything goes smoothly for you, and congratulations on your imminent arrival :)

It has been easier for me the second time, I think mostly because my supply is better. DD1 used to BF literally all day every day for weeks and weeks (and every couple hours at night too), but DD2 has always been a 15-20 min (or less) feeder every couple hours (and a really great sleeper at night). I think it's because I have much more milk this time. It did take some time to teach her how to latch, and I did deal with sore nipples again, it was really bad for about a week. After that I still had pain on latching (that went away during the feed) for about 6 weeks, but my daughter had a small mouth and just wouldn't open wide enough to get a proper latch. I only had to spend a couple minutes each feed getting her latched on though. She did grow out of it and now it's smooth sailing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"