Breastfeeding through growth spurt- help!!

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
I have been breast feeding my son since he was born (aside from the first few days in NICU). He normally gets a bottle of formula once every day or two when someone watches him.

He has recently entered what I believe to be his 6 week growth spurt, and he seems to have forgotten how to breastfeed. He had this issue at 3 weeks, where he would go on and off constantly during a feeding. This time however, after a few minutes of steady feeding and a lot of on and off, he starts screaming when I try to put my nipple back in his mouth and won't latch. I figured he maybe wasn't getting a fast flow of milk after my initial letdown, so I try calming him down and switching sides, but he still screams when I try to put it in. I know he isn't full as he gets inconsolable until I give him a bottle of formula.

He is usually good at night, but he ends up with about 4 bottles of formula during the day.

Everyone stresses how important it is not to supplement during a growth spurt, but I feel like if I don't, he won't get enough food because he refuses to take it. If I can get him to sleep after those feedings without formula, he is awake 30 mins later and we do it all over again. If it was one or two days the fine, but we are going on 5 days.
I try every feeding so he at least stimulates them and gets a bit of milk out, but because of his erratic feedings, I am worried my supply won't increase to what he needs.

(His weight gain since birth is normal, but he isn't gaining it evenly- gained 6oz in 2 days around 2 weeks old, only 2oz 4 days later, another 8oz in 4 days etc.; in the 2 weeks between 3 weeks and 5 weeks old, he only gained 4oz).

Anyone else have the latching issue during this growth spurt? I know it's normal to latch on and off, but did your baby get to the point of screaming and completely refusing the breast during feedings? How long did it last and how did you cope?

He has slept quite a lot today (for longer periods than he usually would during the day) so I'm hoping we are nearing the end!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->