Breastfeeding tips after a csection..

EloiseAndBump

Amelia + Isaac's mum!
Reaction score
So due to many reasons, medical mainly, i'm having another csection. With my daughter I have severe PND and mainly due to that I didn't breastfeed for very long and now I know what to expect I would like some tips on how to breastfeed comfortably after my csection, I plan to pump aswell but I already have a tommee tippee electric pump so i'm okay there and I plan on buying a feeding pillow and some nipple sheilds just incase I really need them as I have fairly flat nipples but I don't see that being much of a problem. Any advice would be most appreciated :flower:

I just used a regular pillow to cover my belly so that she didn't accidently kick me while breastfeeding :dohh: :cry: That's the only advice I can give. And move very slowly, it hurts like heck, but you probably already know that since you've already had a C-section before :winkwink: :haha:

Don't let anyone tell you it will make it hard for you to breastfeed though. I made it crystal clear from the start I was breastfeeding daughter (told dr, midwife, husband, nurses, etc. NO FORMULA!!) I had a C-section under general anesthesia with my daughter, didn't get a chance to hold her for about 4-5 hours (couldn't until they got my pain under control, thank goodness for a morphine pump!!) and even when I FINALLY got to hold her ( I was the last person on Earth who got to see/hold her it seemed :hissy: :haha: ) she wasn't interested in eating. Wouldn't latch on for nothing at first but later on that evening/night, she was on pretty much nonstop (15minutes on, 15 off, 5 minutes on, 20 off, ALL night long :wacko: )

She had slight jaundice levels but they weren't concerned considering how often she stayed on the boob that first night. By the second night, my milk was already in. I was really surprised by that! It didn't come in that quickly with my son!

Sneak those power naps in when you can! Something about a baby nursing is so soothing to me, we usually fell asleep together so make sure you have plenty of pillows around to support her incase you both fall to sleep at the same time. DD usually woke me up about 5-10min later for a refill so those lil naps are important!! :wacko:

There's plenty of ladies who start pumping right away but I didn't bother with it until about the second month. By that time my supply had really come in and stabilized some so my boobs responded to the pump really well. I had an awful time attempting to pump when breastfeeding son and ended up being able to hand express more than I could pump though THAT wasn't much either :/

Good luck with your LO! :flower:

You already said what I would suggest. Make sure your bf pillow is comfortable. I wish I brought my pillow to the hospital, it makes it so much easier. I struggled so much with positioning until I got home and used my pillow. Also the nipple shield, I wish I was told about them much sooner. I also have flat nipples and my son had problems latching. It sounds like you are pretty well prepared. Good luck!

After my C Section breastfeeeding wasn't a problem at all. Of course I was in a lot of pain and I had to find comfortable positions but once that was sorted it was easy. I did take my feeding cushion with me to the hospital but I found it more painful on my incision to use it than to go without. Hope everything goes well for you :)

i had a spinal block with my section so was awake throughout which meant the MW helped DD to latch on whilst in recovery, I believe its the sooner the better :) and plenty of skin to skin contact

also, for the first 24 hours I couldn't lift DD out of the crib and I felt really guilty every time I had to buzz for a nurse to get her for me for feeding and then buzz for them to put her back etc - that made me want to give up trying more than anything! next time I won't feel guilty as on hindsight i can see its their job and it was necessary for my baby!

It was recommended to me to use the "football hold" to keep LO at my side instead of on the incision. I used that for months until I got used to feeding him in a cradle position. I had a Boppy pillow, but it didn't fit me well (too high up) and so I used multiple regular bed pillows until it seemed comfortable. If I can help anymore send me a message! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->