Breastfeeding twins?

Reaction score
I'm just curious to see what other peoples experiences have been. I've been reading a lot of blogs and books about breastfeeding and while it's helpful nothing is specific to twins. I'm hoping to EBF my twins from the start but I'm really worried about supply. If you had twins how did you ensure you had enough supply for the babies, did you tandem feed or just feed them separately? Did you pump at all so that you husband could feed them? When did you introduce a bottle (if you did at all)? And how often did you have to feed them in their first few weeks of life? Thanks in advance!

I don't have any personal experience, but my sister breastfed her twins. She didn't pump or do anything special to maintain her supply, her body just adjusted to the demand. She didn't pump but once the twins were about 4 months old she did give the occasional bottle of formula if she needed to be away from them. She sometimes tandem fed and sometimes didn't, it just depended on what the babies demanded. In the first few weeks they were fed every 2 hrs or so, just like any other newborn.

jess - thanks for the info. Any info helps! I am a first time mother so haven't even had experience breast feeding one baby. I'm hoping all 3 of us take to it well but am just trying to get an idea of what other people have experienced. I guess part of this process is just waiting to see what they like and I can adjust from there. I'm hoping like your sister my body adjusts well to the demand though. Thanks again!

She said that tandem feeding was the easiest because otherwise she felt like she was just constantly nursing, but it was difficult to tandem feed without someone to help her get the babies into position. Once the first baby was on the boob she was only left with one hand to get the next baby onto the other boob. She eventually managed to figure out a system, but that was her biggest challenge at first.

My sister has twins and had the exact same experience as jessmke's sister. She fed on demand so sometimes that meant tandem nursing and sometimes separately. Her supply didn't have any issues that I know of. She did pump some but mostly for going out just in case and if she was overwhelmed so her dh could help. Good luck! I totally admire mom's who ebf twins! Bf is a demanding job but definitely rewarding!

No experience myself but I know two people with twins who breastfed successfully - so it is possible. just get that support network sorted before they arrive so you know where to go for help and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.

I don't have experience such thing because I am a mother of only one child. If I would be in your place I should have used manual breast pumps to feed twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->